1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Big STEREO PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 01:05 PM
alynch75
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big STEREO PROBLEM

I have a 2000 Dodge Avenger with the infinty system. I purchased a new head unit but it wont fit. It is Din 1. I checked around and everyone tells me that there is a relay behind the factory radio that will need to be relocated. Has anyone been able to do this. The guy at best buy wants to charge me $125 to install it. Sounds like a rip off. I can install it myself. I just need to know how do I relocate the relay . Please help. I purchased my new stereo about 2 months ago and have not been able to use it. I did install it but it looks so sloppy hanging out of the dash. There is somthing behind it that won't let me slide it all the way in. Please help!!!!

Old 08-13-2005, 05:28 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: Big STEREO PROBLEM

There's no relay back there. You need a dash kit to fill in the remaining opening...aftermarket radios are "din size" and the factory Venge radio is "a din and a half"...I also recommend getting the wiring harness too. You do have to relocate the grounding wire because the factory ground wire is not located on the harness, it's actually a grounding strap that is connected to the factory radio chasis.

Old 08-14-2005, 05:24 PM
alynch75

Dont know if you relaize what i was aksing. I have the proper wirieng harness got it from autozone. I have the dash kit got that from advancedautoparts. the thing is with the 2000 dodge avenger when yout try to install an aftermarket radio it sticks out of the dash. There is somthing back there that won't let it sit flush. Even when I goto www.crutchfield.com to look at the stereo ( I purchased the stereo from a internet vendor brand new) but when you read on crutchfield's site it says you have to relocate a relay that is behind the factory radio. IF you goto www.crutchfield.com and put in 2000 dodge avenver as your vehicel and serach for stereos you will notice that the only ones that fit are the big ones (same size as factory) all the others say modifed fit and say you have to relocate a relay. I just want to know how do i do that. Also FYI I removed the facory radio and there are several relays back there mounted to a metal bracket that seems to be bolted to the car. Please help.

Old 08-14-2005, 07:32 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

ORIGINAL: alynch75

Dont know if you relaize what i was aksing. I have the proper wirieng harness got it from autozone. I have the dash kit got that from advancedautoparts. the thing is with the 2000 dodge avenger when yout try to install an aftermarket radio it sticks out of the dash. There is somthing back there that won't let it sit flush. Even when I goto www.crutchfield.com to look at the stereo ( I purchased the stereo from a internet vendor brand new) but when you read on crutchfield's site it says you have to relocate a relay that is behind the factory radio. IF you goto www.crutchfield.com and put in 2000 dodge avenver as your vehicel and serach for stereos you will notice that the only ones that fit are the big ones (same size as factory) all the others say modifed fit and say you have to relocate a relay. I just want to know how do i do that. Also FYI I removed the facory radio and there are several relays back there mounted to a metal bracket that seems to be bolted to the car. Please help.
Ah, ok. Sorry about that. The only thing that was making my A/M radio stick out was the plastic box back there, after moving the visible obstructions (forgot what all I moved though), I ended up having to trim the plastic down a bit and moving some wires around. My Pioneer Premier fit great but my previous Kenwood Excelon was a very tight fit! It really shouldn't be that hard to relocate a relay or relay pack, you may have to trim that plastic box too, but do that last if you have to. The relays shouldn't be grounded to the car via the metal bracket since the relay covers are plastic. The relays will work upside down, laying down flat, at any angle...and so on. You can just move them out of the way and not worry about the move affecting their performance any. I would maybe suggest using a zip tie to hold them in place somewhere back there.

Question, were those relays mounted off to the side of the metal bracket?

Old 08-14-2005, 10:14 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Alynch75...sorry to sound like a butthead, I'm really not. It's just these posts make it look like that.
Anyway...
did you get it?

Old 08-15-2005, 11:10 AM
alynch75

Thanks for the quick reply. I looked back there it looks like a metal bracket that is bolted to the car. I can get to the nust to unlossed them. There is a plastic or vinal covering a handle like thing on the bracket. I belive this may be what' is causing the probelm with the fit. I will send you a digital photo of what it looks like. Also is there some other way I can put the stereo in the car. Alternate location or a way to modify the front dash to put it in. The stereo I am trying to put in is a Sony CDX-F7710X

Old 08-22-2005, 03:57 PM
alynch75

Still have problem. What do I do? How to I relocate this relay or whatever it is. It won't let me insert the stereo fully into the opening. Someone helm me. Its a 2000 Dodge Avenger sport with fatory cassety am/fm raido. I am upgrading to the sony cdx f7710x

Old 08-22-2005, 06:30 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Hey lynch, can u take a pic of the opening...to see what's stopping you from inserting the radio in completely.

Quick Reply: Big STEREO PROBLEM