1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Tranny gets stuck!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 05:22 AM
Vengito
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny gets stuck!!!

Hey guys, I've looked all over this forum and I couldn't find anything that gave me a solution to the problem I'm having. I've got a '96 Dodge Avenger ES with the 5.7L (6 cylinder) 6g72. The problem is, at times, I don't know if it might have anything to do with the transaxle getting hot cuz it usually happens after I've been driving for a while or if I've driven the car alot during the day, but at times the transmission will get stuck in a gear. Usually it's first, sometimes it's second, but it gets stuck. I accelerate and the RPM's go up and up and the car doesn't shift. Normally I'll stop the car, turn it off and let it sit for a while before resuming [:@]. This fixes it at times, but there are other times when it just keeps doing it and I end up having to drive at 3,000 RPM's going 25 mph just so I can get it home[sm=smiley9.gif]. I had AAMCO work on it to "fix" the problem, but as we can conclude, it hasn't. I spent a crap-load of $$$ on the job and I'm really not trying to spend more. I have yet to take it back but before I do I was wondering if any of you have any idea as to what might be causing this behavior from my Tranny. If any one has any clue I'd appreciate the feed back. Thanks in advance!

Old 01-05-2006, 06:36 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: Tranny gets stuck!!!

Hi there, let's straighten this motor thing out first ok. The V6 is a 2.5 liter...ok, that was it

The cheapest fix or whatever you would like to call is to have the tranny fluid flushed and to have MOPAR tranny fluid put in...the A604 doesn't like anything but...
If that doesn't do it then I would say that you will need a new clutch pack or relay pack (that's the ratcheting thing you hear when your windows are rolled down and you put it in gear).
And if it's not either of those then I would say to have your tcm changed out.

My theory on your tranny troubles is the fluid getting too hot and keeping the tranny from shifting.

Old 01-07-2006, 01:48 AM
Vengito

oh, oops! that's what I meant. yeah, 5.7L is like a V8 or something. Anyways, ok, I'm gonna try those things out and I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks for the feedback!

Old 01-16-2006, 04:01 PM
coolnesshw

Try this. Does cruise work? If not or if is simply goes off cruise on it's own, it is one of the 2 trans sensors. You need a 'puter to check.

If not the above, it sounds like the overdrive bearing is going out, and the only thing to do it re-build.

Old 01-19-2006, 08:34 PM
avengance

Yeah, i have a 96 avenger es too, with the 2.5, and i have had the same transmission problems. It gets stuck in second gear pretty much, and won't shift out. Yeah, just turning it off for a few seconds usually fixes it. You usually can do it in neutral while still rolling, and it fixes it. But today, it happened again on the way to work, and it hasn't gone away. I have a half hour freeway drive, and the whole way home, it stayed in 2nd gear, and i had to take surface streets. I really would like to know if you had it checked or fixed, and what you found out, or anyone else for that matter. My car is getting up there in miles, 98k, and i am afraid i am going to have to trade it in... A cheap solution would be great but i fear it finally is stuck for good. Thanks for your time, guys!

Old 02-13-2006, 01:05 AM
dadams

My daughter has a 95 that sounds like it's got the same problem. Just wanted to know if the flush and dodge fluid helped?

Old 02-28-2006, 01:16 AM
evilneon

Someone help please. My tranny IS making that wrenching sound. Will a flush fix it or will I have to buy a new clutch pack? If so how much do they run?

Old 10-14-2007, 12:17 PM
3CLIPS3

I was looking for some answers for my friends car when i came across this forum, i own a 97' mitsubishi eclipse gs, and i have had this problem on my car too, thou mine is an auto trans. after about 2 weeks of diging around, i already replace the TPS, and both, the input and output trans speed sensor, and nearly ending up replacing the whole trans and tcm, later i found that the ground wires screwed in and located near and around the tcm were loose and were moving around making my car at random times, get stuck in second gear going about 30mph @ 3500 rpm and my speedometer needle was bouncing from 10mph to 140mph and back at random times! after screwing this bolt down my trans was shifting perfectly again! its not the same car but a very similar problem so i thought id post what i found. i would suggest looking around the tcm and see if there are is anything out of place or if possible, try to find someone with a some car and try out their tcm in ur car and see if that helps. hope this help someone.

Last edited by 3CLIPS3; 05-20-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:48 PM
dynamiteplaya3
Veteran

For all u shifting prob people.. make sure no wires are pinched/crushed i had the same problem the wires going to my tps were crushed and was causing it not to shift right. basically the same probs. that most of u are saying u are having

Old 10-15-2007, 11:39 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

reply 3clips3, P0765 is UD Pressure switch curcuit. Replace the solenoid pack. That should fix it. As far as all the others , I would need more information like CVI, Codes and does the trans stop shifting after 2nd gear. Any time a transmission has high rpm and stop shifting you have gone into limp-in mode, until the key isturned off and will reset out of limp-in.

Quick Reply: Tranny gets stuck!!!