1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

How do i take of the front cover of my headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 03:38 AM
Avengerer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do i take of the front cover of my headlights

i seen this thing come up a few months ago on some forums but i didnt find the answer on how to fix it.
basically, both of my headlights on my 97 dodge avenger are dirty{like air has been dried out in there}, and i cannot seem to understnad how to clean it. i went a few auto shop stores and asked them if there is a way to remove the front cover and clean that dirt from the inside, but none of them knew how to take it off. they said that i will have to get new headlights, the whole set, not only the covers.
now this is why i come to you people, i would please like to know if any one of you can tell me how can i take of these front headlight plastic covers{the white covers} and clean them. i already know how to clean them, some peolpe suggested using lemon juice, some said low precent acid liquid, and some other stuff, but whats the use of this information if i cannot reach the dirty area.

big thanks in advnace.

Old 02-02-2006, 05:40 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: How do i take of the front cover of my headlights

It's not on the inside, I promise you. That is the outside and is caused by...well, everything it comes in contact with.
This is a common problem with plastic headlight lenses. Not just Avenger/Sebrings, but every car that has plastic lenses.

The best and most effective way to battle this is to wet sand the lenses. Start with something like 600 grit and go to 800, 1000, then 2000, and finally get yourself some Meguiars Scratch X to polish it off. Do each grit for at least 15 min each and keep the sandpaper wet/slightly soapy! The Scratch X will be your final polish and it will give it a new look.

I will say that if you get any condensation on the inside then you have a crack in the lens or the headlight assembly has been messed with or just lost it's seal. You do know that they are not hermetically sealed right? There is a relief valve in there to help release any condensation/heat/pressure and the only way to allow condensation (enough to fog up the inside) in is if the seal is broken, so don't mess with it too much.

BTW, this is not a "quick" fix. It should last you a couple hours to do it right (hour per side). You could do it in less time, but that's less quality on your work...that's up to you though. Just so you know that what you see is on the outside.

Old 02-02-2006, 05:45 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

A quick test is to put some sort of cooking oil on a tiny portion of the lens. If it clears it up (somewhat anyway) then it is on the outside.

BTW, those are really dirty headlights if they are white! That is what happens when they are exposed to hours of rain/rocks/dust, on top of that, the protective layer that is on there from the factory is now gone. You can look around somemore if you don't like my answer...but, I promise you it's on the outside. I've had mine since 97 (original owner) and I've been there and done that once...twice...three times...and I will keep doing it until I rub through and I am forced to buy new headlights...but not until then.

Old 02-02-2006, 10:37 AM
99aveng

Toothpaste also works wonders on the lenses...

Old 02-02-2006, 04:31 PM
Avengerer

hey siliver couple, thank for the reply. im not saying that i dont believe, but it seems like the dirty is from the inside, it really does, but who knows, maybe your right.
i will take your advices to consideration and try to do it, but i dont know exactly what is a grit 600, 800,1000 or 2000.
about the scratch remover thing. i have turtle wax scratch remover, will that work?
plus - what is a wet sand and where do i get it?
i dont want to go out and spend like hounderd dollars on this materials to clean my headlight covers, if i can buy all of these stuff that you mentioned to do the job for around 20-30 dollars, il be happy.
so what i will need from you is to tell me exactly i need to buy for this job and where can i get them.
thank you and thanks for the other guy with the toothpaste advice, il might try it.

Old 02-02-2006, 06:29 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

ORIGINAL: 99aveng

Toothpaste also works wonders on the lenses...
He mentioned that he had white lenses...toothpaste won't work on that bro.

Old 02-02-2006, 06:45 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

ORIGINAL: Avengerer

hey siliver couple, thank for the reply. im not saying that i dont believe, but it seems like the dirty is from the inside, it really does, but who knows, maybe your right.
i will take your advices to consideration and try to do it, but i dont know exactly what is a grit 600, 800,1000 or 2000.
about the scratch remover thing. i have turtle wax scratch remover, will that work?
plus - what is a wet sand and where do i get it?
i dont want to go out and spend like hounderd dollars on this materials to clean my headlight covers, if i can buy all of these stuff that you mentioned to do the job for around 20-30 dollars, il be happy.
so what i will need from you is to tell me exactly i need to buy for this job and where can i get them.
thank you and thanks for the other guy with the toothpaste advice, il might try it.
Wet sanding is just a term for keeping the sand paper wet while using it. A new headlight will cost you anywhere from $150-$300(?). Wet sanding will cost you maybe $20 in materials and it will make you a popeye arm when you're done, lol. IMO it's not as good as the Meguiars but that Turtle wax will work...that is just all personal preferrence of course. The scratch remover is just to polish the headlights is all.

Rub your fingers across the lenses, it's most likely really rough...now rub your fingers across the taillights, it's most likely smooth...that's how the headlights used to be. That should tell you that it's on the outside. Don't put too much faith in folks that wear uniforms with checkered flags on them, not more than %35 of those folks know the difference between the left and right headlight bulb.

BTW, there isn't a difference, but if they stop to take a moment to think about, then...they're pretty useless IMO.

Old 02-02-2006, 09:28 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Oh yeah...grit 600, 800, 1000, 2000...the grit number or amount will tell you how rough the sandpaper is, the higher the number the smoother the sandpaper. Also, when you wet sand the headlights, you will have to sand the entire front part of the lens. Do not stay in one area, move from left to right, top to bottom and so forth.
Again, gritty toothpaste will not work. The toothpaste works in the same manner as plastic polish with a minty smell, lol. If you can't see your bulbs when looking straight into the headlight, then it's more severe than what any polish alone can do for you. There have been many Avenger/Sebring owners that have gone through what you are going through now and we've all done it this same way with positive results. Of course the quality of the shine is dependant on you.

Good luck and don't worry, you'll be able to see the road at night again

John

Old 02-03-2006, 01:11 AM
Avengerer

okay, so basically your saying that the only thing i need to use is a sand paper which i can get in any hardware store, or car stores like autozone, pep boys...? and once i found the sand paper i need to get 3 kinds according to you, or possibly 4, to get the job done. tell me if im right but i need to get 1 that is 600 grit, 2nd is 800, 3rd is 1000, and 4 is either 1500 or 2000 grit , right?
and another question: when do i need to wet the sand paper? before i start rubbing my headlight covers, or into the middle of the procces..? and do i use just plain water, hot ? cold?
and last, according to you, i use the turtle wax as a finish touch up, how do i use it, with the sand paper or with a plain material, like an old t-shirt, or some thing like that?
thanks a bunch silver coupe.
i have a few things on my mind that i need to ask you once i get this job done.
have a great weekend.

Old 02-03-2006, 01:25 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

ORIGINAL: Avengerer

okay, so basically your saying that the only thing i need to use is a sand paper which i can get in any hardware store, or car stores like autozone, pep boys...? and once i found the sand paper i need to get 3 kinds according to you, or possibly 4, to get the job done. tell me if im right but i need to get 1 that is 600 grit, 2nd is 800, 3rd is 1000, and 4 is either 1500 or 2000 grit , right?
and another question: when do i need to wet the sand paper? before i start rubbing my headlight covers, or into the middle of the procces..? and do i use just plain water, hot ? cold?
and last, according to you, i use the turtle wax as a finish touch up, how do i use it, with the sand paper or with a plain material, like an old t-shirt, or some thing like that?
thanks a bunch silver coupe.
i have a few things on my mind that i need to ask you once i get this job done.
have a great weekend.
You're correct about the sandpaper and where to get it. When you get ready to do it, your best bet is to keep the headlight and sandpaper wet at all times, otherwise the sandpaper will go deeper than you want it to go. I would put a little car wash soap in a bucket, just enough so that when you put water on the headlight, the water will help the sandpaper glide over the plastic. Use the same water you would use to wash your car with. As for the polish, you would apply that as you would normally...with a cloth or wax applicator, whatever you fancy, just don't use the sandpaper to apply it, lol.
Ask away, there are more Avenger/Sebring owners and we all pop in every so often. You can pm me or just post your question for more of us to see . You have a great weekend too.

John

Quick Reply: How do i take of the front cover of my headlights