1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

My 95 Avenger wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 08:11 PM
Pdn3307
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 95 Avenger wont start

The problem started about 4-5 weeks where i was driving down the road and the car just shut off and didnt want to start back up. I finally got the car started and havent had a problem til about 2 weeks ago and now the car wont start at all. I had the same problem in my 97 i had where the mechanic i took it to replaced the fuel pump and the problem was still happening just never when i took it to them or let them try to start it after letting it sit overnight. I got it back and took it to a different mechanic after the car shut off on me while i was doing 55 on the highway twice and they determined it was the fuel pump relay and that was the problem. I know nothing about cars and cant tell if the fuel pump turns on when i turn the key to ACC. can anyone tell me which relay is the fuel pump relay (i have 4 relays on firewall) as well as list something it could be. please leave the bashing to a minimum.

Old 03-20-2006, 08:53 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: My 95 Avenger wont start

alrighty heres my input
If after driving for a while your car bogs down and dies, its the catalytic convertor. If it starts again after a while (ie cooling down) thats a pretty good sign its the cat (its clogged and what happens is when it heats up it expands and chokes your exhaust

If it dies right after starting then its either camshaft sensor/crankshaft sensor/distributor or a bad ecu.

If it randomly dies when stopping it could be the IAC motor.

If it doesnt want to start or starts randomly its either the battery/corroded connections at the battery or faulty fuel pressure regulator.

All these problems could also be a bad ASD relay/Fuel pump relay or clogged fuel filter (which doesnt happen alot at all so thats the last on the list)

Simple tests to check before you get into replacing parts is the swap the relays around (not replacing them but just swapping one for the others) on the driverside firewall (the asd relay and others) if it clears the problem up its one of those relays.
As for the relays...I forget which one is which, but I actually had three. It seems that the I4s had the 4 pack, not completely sure on that though.
You could remove all 4 of the relays....ONE AT A TIME...and check for corrosion. If you have a multi-meter you can check to see if it's stuck. If the connections look bad...the relay probably is too.

Old 03-20-2006, 10:40 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: My 95 Avenger wont start

Here's another....it's a link to things that contributed to our cars that just stop running.
- Parts replaced to fix car shut off problem add yours to list -
I would suggest getting a Haynes or Chilton's manual...Haynes preferred since it has more Dodge related illustrations and info as opposed to Chilton's which has more Chrylser related illustrations and info. At least it does when referring to motors.
Both relate to our cars..it just seems Haynes=Dodge/Mitsu...Chilton's=Chrysler...I have both btw.

Quick Reply: My 95 Avenger wont start