1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Interior Painting

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 11:47 AM
element000101
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Painting

I see everyone painting their interior...how do u get the parts off, and where do you buy the paint from...PLEASE HELP..thanks

Old 05-18-2006, 12:39 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: Interior Painting

What parts are you talking about specifically? and welcome to DF

Old 05-19-2006, 12:48 PM
element000101
Professional

Like the Radio and air/heating control panal and im debating on painting the vents, and center console but i cant get them off, can u please help me, and what paint is eveyone buying...And thanks for the welcome

Old 05-19-2006, 11:12 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

ORIGINAL: element000101

Like the Radio and air/heating control panal and im debating on painting the vents, and center console but i cant get them off, can u please help me, and what paint is eveyone buying...And thanks for the welcome
The radio bezel just pops off...pull from the bottom coin holder thingy though and pry your way up from the inner part of the bezel (easiest way and careful too). The center vents pop out by prying with a fairly thin flathead and holding whichever side you just pryed and then starting with the opposite side. The hazard/defroster bezel can just be pryed also from the four corners. I don't think you're talking about the HVAC controls for painting so we'll skip that PITA part
The center console is easy, there are two screws covered up by the seats on either side and closer to the rear...pull the hidden tray out...there should be more screws under that, the shifter bezel that houses the cup holder and ashtray needs to be popped out, the side kick panels are held on by plastic screw I believe and are covered up by those round screw hole covers. I don't remember much more about the Avenger/Sebring center console though since I took mine out awhile ago. Hope that helps.

Old 05-20-2006, 02:56 AM
element000101
Professional

thanks so much...im just wondering this is the last thing i swear...lol...what kind of paint should i use

Old 05-20-2006, 11:15 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Krylon paint from autozone or some other parts store...even walmart
I wouldn't recommend using paint for the non-plastic pieces though (I can't think of the name of that plastic leather stuff right now, it's late).

Did you know that you can have a fiberglass looking paint job by using sandable primer? Spray the primer down, sand it, spray another coat, sand it...etc, until the surface is nice and smooth, then apply your paint (plastic paint) and then spray on clearcoat. Make sure it's completely cured before you rest on it though. Oh, this is for future referrence

Old 05-25-2006, 11:48 AM
element000101
Professional

Silvercoupe i painted the inside, i did everything you told me and it came out great, but it smells like paint, is there anyway i can get that spray paint smell out...i bought 2 of those little tree things, and now it smells like vanilla and spray paint...thanks so much for your help...

Old 05-25-2006, 12:03 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Lol, let it air out for AWHILE, lol. You're welcome, I'm glad it came out good, but the props go to you because you're the one that did the job...but you know you have to post pics of this
I don't know of any professional tricks, but I've noticed that "baking" the painted items not only helps cure the paint faster but it also helps with removing the smell from the painted item (because it's completely dry of course). I think I heard this from somewhere, but correct me if I'm wrong please!!! I believe the paint fumes are from the paint actually drying...that whole chemical reaction thing and the spent product are the fumes, I think I heard that somewhere? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, or I'll keep believing that, lol.
You may have to just roll you windows down until it's completely dry, lol.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:19 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Quick question for you element. Did you paint some stuff with them inside the car?

Old 05-26-2006, 12:28 PM
element000101
Professional

whats up john...lol no i actually took the parts off and painted them, i mean the smell is slowly going away, but its still there...yea heres the pixs u wanted...

THANKS
Frank (element000101)[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: Interior Painting