1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

My 1995 Avenger Auto Tranny is stuck in second gear!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 01:18 AM
Georgiaboy6170
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1995 Avenger Auto Tranny is stuck in second gear!

Hello. I am a newbie to this forum, but I am hoping someone can give me some advice on a problem with my 1995 Dodge Avenger (6 cyl, 2.5L, 24 Valve) Auto transmission. About 2 months ago, I was driving down the interstate agoing about 75 mph and all of a sudden I noticed my speedometer reading drop to "0". I pulled off the highway - checked the fluid level (good) and then I shut the car off. When I restarted the car, I was stuck in second gear and I drove the remaining 20 miles home doing about 35 mph. Well, I took it to a local mechanic and he said the transmission needs replacing (no problems with it prior to this). I have had the car sitting in my driveway since then and Monday I plan to take to AAMCO for a free diagnostic check - could this only require a transmission computer reprogramming possibly ( I read somewhere that second gear is a default with problems). I just am trying to avoid the total rebuild if possible! I appreciate any help!

[IMG]local://upfiles/38420/03EDA03C31FA4222B7CDB20D8848C06D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-30-2006, 01:31 AM
05ocsrt4
Rookie
Default RE: My 1995 Avenger Auto Tranny is stuck in second gear!

you need a new trans, the shift controller or something in the system is broken and it went to the default gear which in your car is 2nd, and that is only meant to be driven a few miles and usually if you drive it farther than that, you wreck the trans, but have like cottman trans or AAmco check it out, it might be fine and jus need a new shift controller (sorry i forgot the name of the part)

Old 06-30-2006, 02:01 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

It could be a few things, especially when it goes into limp mode. It could be the relay pack, the TCM, speed sensor(s), CPS, or even the tranny fluid (ATF+3 is recommend and should be adhered to, especially this tranny). Other than the level, take note to the smell and color of the fluid. The level should be checked with the car on and not off also. Your best bet is to take it to a tranny shop that knows the a604 or the 41TE (whatever they want to call it), or just someone that knows Dodge/Mitsubishi. Yes, Mitsu uses DCX parts too.
Did you see silver flakes on the tranny stick (look carefully)? Did the tranny ever slip? Did the tranny overheat or get really hot? Were you going up a hill? Need more info though bro, it's hard to believe that it just went into limp mode while cruising at speed and out of the blue.
The tranny won't normally just go into limp mode without reasons other than sudden death of gears and by then it's way too late to help it. Heat is a big factor to any auto tranny and it seems more so for ours. There's a lot to check for before having a rebuild done. Have it checked out. I think it's your speed sensor, since your speedo just all of a sudden went to 0mph while you were apparently rolling faster than that. Have the mech check that. Also ask them what could have caused it. If they say it could be anything, ok...if they say it needs a rebuild, walk away...unless they can provide a reason to why and if they then say it could have been anything and that they will need to take it apart, say "no thanks". You might as well have asked them to rebuild it just to keep the down time to a minimum.

Old 06-30-2006, 02:35 AM
Georgiaboy6170

Thanks for the responses so far...I like this forum already...seems like you guys are pretty knowledgeable! Well, prior to getting stuck in second gear after turning car back off and on again - I cannot recall any slippage or anything like that - I did have a small transmission fluid leak though, but I always made sure I kept the level right - I plan to drive the car to the nearest AAMCO for a free external diagnostic on Monday, which is a 40 mile drive - can I really mess up the transmission worse by making this drive in second gear? (I plan to make sure I keep the RPMs below 3500). I just hate to have the car towed then have them tell me I need a rebuild for $1500 or something then have to have it towed back....

Old 06-30-2006, 04:45 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I wouldn't drive it that far if I could help it, but do what you've got to do.
The only problem is if AAMCO says they don't know or give the default "needs to be rebuilt" comment, then what?
Rebuilding the tranny is more of a financial gain than replacing the CPS sensor or rpm sensor or any other sensor for that matter and that's why everyone says "rebuild". If you do have to get it rebuilt then put in a higher stall converter and get the newer and revised clutch pack (relay pack). They have to take the cover off and the older version is loud with it on and even louder with it off. The newer version is quieter even with the cover off. While you're at it get the shift kit. All of those items are in the sticky above this section, just look up the vendors.

Old 07-01-2006, 06:11 AM
Avengerer

i had the same problem with my car 1 month ago.
i went to cottman's transmition, he took a look at it for free and told me that i need a relay pack. and it would cost me around 300-400 dollars{i paid 360 plus tax}
then i went to ammaco transmition just to see how much they will charge me{ and i paid 40 dollars for them to look at it} and the ******** over there told me that they need to rebuild my transmition, and it would cost me around $2200 dollars.
its obvioust what was my next move.
i have a feeling that they will tell you that you need a new transmition. but dont take their word. go to cottman's transmition too, and ask them to take a look at it.

Old 07-05-2006, 07:18 PM
gwurzinger

I had a similar problem and Aamco fixed it. If you plan on keeping your Avenger, make sure pay for the lifetime warranty. It is worth it!!!

Old 07-07-2006, 03:13 AM
Georgiaboy6170

Thanks all for all the responses! My Avenger is running again!!! All that was wrong was a speed sensor gone bad - $85 total parts and labor (this even included the $30 charge to hook up to a computer!!). Wow, was I glad that was all it was[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Quick Reply: My 1995 Avenger Auto Tranny is stuck in second gear!