1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Hi and Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 04:13 PM
robertwyoung
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi and Help

I just bought a used 98 Avenger ES. There are little buttons on the driver's side mirror, Homelink I read someone here call it ... What is that? NM I didn't think to search for Homelink ... LOL I was searching for buttons on visor.

I am planing on installing a stereo ... the one in it is complete crap ... is there any wiring diagrams out there?

How hard would auto down windows be to install? I found the wiring diagram here.

Also does anyone have pics of the trunk mod you have posted?

Regards,
Robert

Old 07-25-2006, 03:04 AM
robertwyoung
Rookie
Default RE: Hi and Help

OK, I have removed the dash speakers; they aren't stock. Does anyone know what size the stock dash speakers were from the Infinity system?
It looks like he cut the old speakers off the mounts. The new ones were electrical taped onto the tabs that hold the grills down

Doors are 6.5s and rear deck are 6x9s?

Anything will help.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:12 PM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker

Yeah I have that also on my 96 ES 3 black buttons on my visor. I have no clue what they are for and 2 scared 2 mess with them. I thought it wuz for the garage door. I also found a switch where my fuse box is. I guessing it is for the alarm another thing Im to scared to touch. I u find out any of these let me know.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:53 PM
robertwyoung
Rookie

I'm pretty sure the 3 buttons are Homelink the garage door opener thing. Mine seems to have a bad wire though. Some times the light lights and sometimes it doesn't. Switch by fusebox ... no clue ... does it look stock?

Old 07-25-2006, 09:48 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Yup, the 3 buttons on the visor is your Homlink...opens garages, security gates and just about anything that equates to those two. You can push them all day long, but if none of the buttons are programmed to open anything...it won't, lol.

The switch by the FB could be an aftermarket toggle switch. You can follow the wires and see where they go or you can play with it and see what it does, lol...the latter is what I do, lol.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:58 PM
robertwyoung
Rookie

Is all the Homelink hardware in the visor or is it contained elsewhere? I programed mine with your directions, but when I move the visor they got dead. Also does the car have to be on for them to work?

Old 07-25-2006, 11:04 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Homelink should have power to them at all times. You may have a bad connection somewhere either in the visor or around it's mount. I don't know if there is a seperate component to the homelink since remote controllers like such (even alarm remotes) are tiny and can easily fit in a small portion of the visor and only needing a power and ground wire to be run out of the visor. Check the visor mounting screws to be sure that they are on nice and snug or at least not loose. The homelink ground may be connected to that.

Cliff notes....Since it still works, I suspect a loose connection somewhere around the visor being that you mentioned that it shuts off if it's moved.

Old 08-17-2006, 02:45 AM
robertwyoung
Rookie

Visor homelink only has 1 red wire running from it. So I sanded the metal mount and a bit around the hole. Works now ... well haven't programmed it yet need a new battery for the remote. Still using the keypad that's mounted in the garage door wall.

Old 08-17-2006, 03:01 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Awesome, thanks for closing that issue Robert...now get a new battery so you don't have to lug that remote around