1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

The PCM

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 05:12 PM
aarojack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The PCM

I plan to have the PCM replaced brand new. Before I embark. Are there any relays I should have checked before I do so?

The problem is the car wont hold a charge, but I have no ABS or Heat and air, and I read that the PCM has control over those components, as well as the voltage regulator (which could be why its not charging).

EDIT:

I've called around numerous places and no one seems to have one. Is there a place I can order one?
New or used it doesnt matter, needs to be replaced.

Old 08-12-2006, 07:24 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: The PCM

The ECU has the voltage regulator Aaron. They are very high unless you get them at a junk yard.

Old 08-12-2006, 08:14 PM
aarojack

Ok I'm confused, I have this Haynes manual for Chysler sebring, Stratus, and avengers 1995 to 2002.

Here's a piece from page 5-10 word for word:

There are 2 types of Alternator voltage regulators, coupes are equiped with a conventional EVR built into the alternator. Convertibles and sedans are equiped with EVRs built in the PCM. The PCM will adjust the amount of voltage generated creating less load on the engine. Since the EVR is contained within the PCM, the PCM must be replaced in the event of an EVR failure.

It doesnt say anything about an ECU. Now I'm getting 3 things, the EVR is either in the alternator, in the PCM, or in the ECU.
Its not in the alternator because it said on the side voltage regulated by external source, and I replaced it with the exact model. The alternator was indeed dead thought thats were all this started.

So Where exactly is the ECU anyway, could you tell me more about it or is the ECU and PCM the same thing? Not saying your wrong, I'm just confused and if infact the EVR is were you say it is, this maunal is only good for supension and engine work, as far as electrical its worthless. Or maybe I'm reading it wrong, you would know more than I would and I'd trust you alittle more than this manual to be honest.

Anyways, could you clear this up for me silver? Before I figure this out I'll check those fusible links you talked about in the previous thread, I heard of some people talking about a bad connection there before.

Old 08-12-2006, 08:56 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Sorry bro, wrong motor The Eclipse is that way and I just went through this same issue a couple days ago. That's what happens when I reply before coffee with an issue still fresh in my mind[>:]

You are correct, voltage is regulated by the PCM. Are you getting a charging warning light or a battery light? After that....knock on the MFI relay maybe? It doesn't have anything to do with charging, but you might as well go through everything before buying anything, lol.
Seriously though, check for a battery light, if you're not getting one, chances are that it is your PCM because it turns the dummy light on.

Old 08-12-2006, 09:11 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Looking at the shop manual, there looks to be three fusible links that are related to the charging system, check them with a multimeter or check light. Two are directly related to the alternator and one to the pcm/alternator. When you open the door, does your interior lighting come on?
I would say...look for a charging light or battery light, if you get that, I wouldn't think your issue to be pcm related because the pcm also controls the ASD relay.

Old 08-12-2006, 09:37 PM
aarojack

No problem at all silver trust me, I wasnt doughting you at all I was just getting confused.

Let me review you how this problem started and what I've done so far.

Beside a complete supension upgrade, new shocks, arms, upper and lower, ball joints knuckles, you name it it was done, the car was driven on bad struts so long that it wore almost everything in the front and and wheel bearings in the rear.

Anyways, about the electrical, after the sup work was done I took it for a drive handle niced, not a mile from home my battery light came on, I was told it had a weak battery when I got it and was going to change it anyway, but the car stall and shut down soon as I got into my driveway. I had a feeling it was alternator (which was tested and proved to be dead) so I order one and while I was waiting I changed the battery, when I put the new one in. The thick ground cable worked it's way to the neg post causing a spark as I was taking off the pos connection. I replaced that battery with a newer one for fear I might have killed something and installed a new alternator, changed some burnt fuses caused by the spark I belive (radio, interior lights, wipers,etc) all work now except I get No charge, no heat\air, and a battery light. Since then I've checked and recheck the fuses, and I still cant find the problem.

Again everything works, key beeding, interor lights, raido, headlights horn, brake lights, etc cept what I said above (heat\air ABS, and no charge) but The car starts fine if you charge the battery but soon as it runs out of juice she dies.

As far as problem lights I get a battery symbol and ABS light. I dont get a check engine light though. I even did the key dance to see if it gave me some errors, none. I havent had it scanned yet though. Since the spark I belive I killed something or blew something but I dont know were to look other than what I've been told by you guys here.

The only other thing I can think of that has part to do with charging is the PCM.

Very frustrating.

Again, I cant thank you enough for the support,
Aaron

Old 08-12-2006, 10:22 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97

Looking at the shop manual, there looks to be three fusible links that are related to the charging system, check them with a multimeter or check light. Two are directly related to the alternator and one to the pcm/alternator. When you open the door, does your interior lighting come on?
I would say...look for a charging light or battery light, if you get that, I wouldn't think your issue to be pcm related because the pcm also controls the ASD relay.
Let me clear the last part up...coffee was just kicking in then, lol.
If you get a battery light and the car starts up then I would suspect the PCM a little later down the road because the PCM energizes the ASD relay and the light (to let you know that there's a charging issue). Since the car starts after you charge it, I wouldn't suspect the ASD relay portion of the pcm, which it does, so I'll leave that alone.
My shop manual also asks (troubleshooting tree)....
-Does the charging warning light illuminate for 3 seconds and then switch off when the ignistion switch is truned ON?
...if yes...
Does the charging warning light illuminate when the engine speed is 1500rpm or more? So rev it up to 2k and see if the light comes on. Just to note, mine didn't light up while sitting still, it did light up while driving it though..
...if no to either, then change out the pcm (generator related circuit).

If you have access to a junk yard that has an Avenger with your motor and pcm, I would suggest that first and before buying a new one.
Back to the fusible links...check both sides of the links (should have a bolt on either side to hold the fuses down). There's not a whole lot to follow in the charging process, so that's good. There is basically 3 things that could be wrong...as far as components are concerned = the alternator, the pcm, and then the fusible link area. The variables can be loose connections, disconnections (wires and such), blown fuse(s), burned wires, bad grounds, no grounds...that's all I check for with my charging issue two days ago.
The kicker with mine is that one of my two fusible links got disconnected, so my battery was connected to one of the links and lit my check light with the car not running...however, both links were supposed to be hot at all times. Which is why I'm emphasizing on the fusible links and you seem to have similar issues as I did.
Once the battery voltage start to get low, certain things in the car stop working. My interior lights didn't come on, my HVAC wasn't working (heater, a/c). The only thing that was working was the instrument cluster. That's because certain things in the car will only work if "X" amount of voltage is applied to the item. Once the voltage starts to go down, things start to stop working. In my case, it was because of low battery power and the fuse was no longer powered (by the batteries fusible link).
I also changed my battery and alternator. My issue was those three things, the battery (it was old anyway), the alternator (bad bearings), and the fusible links (lost connection).

Old 08-13-2006, 03:03 PM
aarojack

I think I found the problem, you were right on about the fusible links.

The 120A fuse was blown, you couldnt tell unless you took it out, so I'm going to replace the 60A fusible link because it looks nasty underneat.

I think these went when the alternator did.

I found a 60am fuse and I'm calling around now for a 120a.

You saved me about 330 bucks for a PCM that wouldnt have solved my problem.

Thanks alot, I'll report back to tell you if its running alright.

Old 08-13-2006, 06:47 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Sweet! I hope the fuses do it for you.

Man, there's a lot of typos in that post I made, sorry for that and I'm glad you were able to understand it. There was just a lot to type and I was typing fast with my 2 year old trying to get my attention and wanting answers about Buzz Lightyear, lol.

Do you have a multimeter Aaron? It helps so you can see voltage/amps numbers.

Old 08-13-2006, 08:02 PM
aarojack

No I dont but my friend does, I'll go borrow it, I have to wait until tomorrow to replace the fuse, its sunday. I make sure to grab that from him.

Again thanks, and no problem on the typos, I have my 2 kids running around all the time, while I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out was wrong with this dam car, lol.