1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 02:49 PM
tgun6144
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please!

I saved up about $5,000 to put into my Avenger, and I was wondering what the best way to gain the most hp? I've thought about doing an engine swap but I don't know anybody that can do the swap and/or where to get the engine. I live in NC and I cant take off from work long enough to get it done at Exile. If anybody knows anything, I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:02 PM
hckyplayer8
Rookie
Default RE: Help please!

the most bang for your buck would be the addition of a turbocharger or supercharger......or a nos kit ( which is not streetlegal in my state)......i would go with the turbo....of course all of these take time n patience (exspecially with the turbo) to put on n all of them have their pros n cons.......turbos tend to be more pricey than superchargers with nos kits being the least expensive.....turbos n nos kits can get alittle more messy with installation than the supercharger but both crank out more hp than the supercharger.....plus turbos cost more 2 keep maintained

Old 08-31-2006, 11:10 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: tgun6144

I saved up about $5,000 to put into my Avenger, and I was wondering what the best way to gain the most hp? I've thought about doing an engine swap but I don't know anybody that can do the swap and/or where to get the engine. I live in NC and I cant take off from work long enough to get it done at Exile. If anybody knows anything, I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.

Your best bet is to have your block re-done and have a turbo kit attached. That'll get you the most realistic bang for your buck...plus you'd get the piece of mind that your motor is good to go while being turbo'd at the same time.

The person you should ask will be silvercoupe97. He's our resident Avenger guru, and the man has one of the sickest Avenger's I've ever seen.....and one of my personal favorite cars period.

Good luck!

Old 09-01-2006, 04:19 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

ORIGINAL: hckyplayer8

the most bang for your buck would be the addition of a turbocharger or supercharger......or a nos kit ( which is not streetlegal in my state)......i would go with the turbo....of course all of these take time n patience (exspecially with the turbo) to put on n all of them have their pros n cons.......turbos tend to be more pricey than superchargers with nos kits being the least expensive.....turbos n nos kits can get alittle more messy with installation than the supercharger but both crank out more hp than the supercharger.....plus turbos cost more 2 keep maintained
I wouldn't say that a turbo cost more than a SC to buy and install. For the price of say, RIPPs SC and the modification that you have to do to the intake, you can get a turbo kit and bolt it on in a weekends time. Since there isn't an SC that is made for our V6s you have to modify the plenum since the RIPP is made for the 6g73 in the Strats and Eclipses...there's more to it than a bolt on affair
With a turbo made for the V6, it's a bolt on affair and you're up and running by Monday
If you have an I4, I would suggest a turbo since a SC is not made for it either.

If it were me....I would save more money. That amount will get you a built motor and turbo, but there's still the tranny and in stock form it will break from getting dogged on by a built and boosted motor. I'm assuming that you have a v6...lol, V6 owners always talks about motor swaps, lol.
If your motor is in good condition and is running strong (do a compression test) then I would skip the motor build get yourself a turbo kit and just keep boost below, IMO, 8psi and get the tranny built, not just rebuilt, but built with a higher stall torque converter, shift kit, etc. and while you're driving the Venge around, save up for the motor build.
Or just save up to get it all done at one time. Oh yeah, I'd say another ~$2000 and you'd be good to go with a full on built and boosted motor with a built tranny.

I know of 2-3 folks with supercharged Avengers/Sebrings and all have had to have the plenum modified in order to allow fitment of RIPPs SC onto the intake system.
I know of one Eaton charger adapted to an Avenger plenum and it has been passed around the Avenger/Sebring community, probably because it just wasn't efficient, but mostly because there were tuning issues with it.
A turbo seems to be a safe bet and what most call a plug and play true bolt on mod.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:54 PM
tgun6144

I thought about just getting a turbocharger but my v6 just broke 130K miles on it. I just wasn't sure if it would be worth putting the turbo on it or not. btw i'm just curious, how much did it actually cost you to do that conversion on your car silvercoupe97, because that car is sweet!

Old 09-02-2006, 11:27 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I'm going on $10k, lol. I just can't stop myself. All my money is going to the motor too. I'm just about done with the motor mods though since my turbo can only do so much, good thing I did a few things with overkill in mind so that with my next turbo upgrade, I won't have to upgrade the supporting mods too. At this time, I'm focusing on my suspension so that I can have it ready for closed courses or autox. Suspension mods are pretty pricey too to get an Avenger running like the pros.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:02 PM
tgun6144

This is probably going to sound pretty stupid. Is it possible to put the 4G63 engine in without doing the AWD conversion? Could it be possible to do that swap with the amount of money I have now?

Old 09-06-2006, 10:10 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

You can swap in a GS-T motor. It's the same motor, just without the AWD components. You would still want to rebuild the motor though unless you know that the donor car was a running car and running strong. You will have to weld the motor mounts on too since both the stock motors are on the passenger side. Don't forget about getting the engine harness and cabin harness out of the donor car since your Avenger will have to be rewired in some spots.
The hardest part is finding the stuff. Such as finding the donor car and someone that will/can do the swap.

Old 09-07-2006, 01:05 AM
tgun6144

Ok, thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:25 PM
tspretiree

You could try putting a 3.8 engine and trans from a mini van in it. That will give you 315hp and 245 lb ft of torque. Ive thought about doing it to my 2.5 2000 Avenger. I want to know if someone else has done it bebore I try it.