1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

grinding noise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 06:53 PM
cky00
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grinding noise?

so i go out to clean my car todaqy and when i take her oiut for a drive when im finished the brakes start making a SUPER loud grinding noise .. like a metal on metal contact noise .. i have no idea what it may be .. i cleaned my wheels with F21 turtle wax and then sprayed them off with a hose and then i took meguiers hot spray tire shine and made my tires all nice and pretty but now there making this noise ... i was thinking maybe water in the brakes? or the cleaner/tire shine may be the culprit here?? i have no idea!! i pakred out in the sun so taht maybe if it is water it will dry ... anyone have any ideas?

Old 09-04-2006, 11:37 PM
avengerdude27
Rookie
Default RE: grinding noise?

did it make the noise before you washed it ...like after the brakes were done

Old 09-05-2006, 12:41 AM
cky00

it did not make the noise before i washed it .. i drove to pepboys to get the tire shine and home which is about a one mile round trip... i finished washing the whole car and then took it out for a drive .. after about 200 yards i stopped at a stop sign and then i started moving again and i heard a very light noise (the grinding noise) and then as i came to the next stop and hit the brakes i heard it again only MUCH louder and it continued ... i cant figure out what it is .. maybe i need new brake pads but my cousin replaced them right before he sold me the car about 2 1/2 months ago ... i have no clue ...

Old 09-05-2006, 01:58 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I would physically check them. Feel the rotors to make sure they haven't been scored. It could also be just the brake pad vibrating on the back plate, but again, I would physically check them.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:45 AM
cky00

i made an appointment up at the gas station, they get looked at tomorrow which doesnt help because its my new venge and todays the first day of school!!! i cant show her off!!! AHHHHH hahaha

Old 09-07-2006, 02:00 AM
cky00

got the car back ... a rotor had to be replaced along with the pads on both front brakes. ... 380 bucks down the drain

Old 09-07-2006, 02:04 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Seems kind of high for stock replacement rotors and pads. Do they at least have lifetime warranty?

Old 09-07-2006, 04:03 PM
yanickee
Professional

Hey Sliver, just a follow up question on breaks!? Would it make a big difference if I put a ceramic breaks!? Cause I would need to replace my break pads soon, and I was just wondering how big of a difference it would make!? Don't have drilled or slotted rotors (all my stupidity, bought a stock rotor replacements! Could've bought BREMBO! IDIOT!) but still!
Thanks!

PS foglight trick, PIMP!

Old 09-08-2006, 05:01 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Well, from personnal experience with them on stock rotors...not a big difference. All I noticed were less brake dust on my wheels. I really didn't like them all that much and felt that organic pads helped me stop better. When I get some slotted rotors I will get ceramics again, just not on stock rotors.
The ceramics seem to slip more than grip without the slots or holes or both to grab onto. They also lasted longer than the organics (probably because they had nothing to wear them out faster).
That's what I remember from my experience with them on my stock brake system and that was just before the conversion so it wasn't that long ago.

Old 09-08-2006, 06:29 PM
yanickee
Professional

Thank you! You just saved me some money! Will start a piggy to buy some drilled and slotted!

Thanks!

Quick Reply: grinding noise?