1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Eagle Talon TSI Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 01:25 AM
airman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eagle Talon TSI Swap?

I realize that the eagle talon tsi (turbo) motors are 4g63, right? so would it be possible to take the engine and it's turbo from a talon tsi and swap it into an avenger? there's a '95 totaled rear-wrecked one in my area for $1200 and i'd be very tempted to do this if that kind of engine/trans swap is possible. the only thing i'd worry about is where the turbo is if there'd be clearance. i know you're out there silver, help me out bro

i mean it's all over the place that these engines can handle 25-30psi and 500+ horses on stock internals, and i think that kind of swap would be beastly. but a noob question here...since the tsi was AWD, does that mean the transmission is going to work with FWD? i wanna stay away from AWD because that's just too much work for me

Old 10-21-2006, 03:53 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: Eagle Talon TSI Swap?

You can get a Talon's motor to work, since they are the same as the Eclipse (just badged different and minor cosmetic differences, like the Avenger to the Sebring). In order to make that AWD drivetrain work as a FWD, you will have to find a FWD tranny, one without the transfer case. The motor is fine though, since it's the same in FWD and AWD. Find yourself a GS-T. There's really not too much more work to make the Avenger an AWD though.
You will need the motor, trans, suspension, motor's wire harness, dash cluster harness, ECU, instrument cluster, and the stock motor mounts need to be removed from the Avenger and the Talon's motor mounts need to be, or should be, removed from the Talon and welded into the Avenger's engine bay.
The Avenger's engine bay is a tad bit longer than the Eclipse/Talons so the turbo will not have fitment issues.

Old 10-21-2006, 03:50 PM
airman
Rookie

okay well that's exciting. i just checked this morning and unfortunately it got sold pretty quick. but i'm going to keep my eyes peeled.

now that i think about it, i could just use a talon tsi [fwd] or an eclipse gs-t and not have to worry about the awd thing. if awd isn't that hard, what all does it take to do? my only concern is that a rear-wrecked one that will be cheap enough for me will probably also have the rear-end axles messed up/etc. i'd rather not fool with that for now, so maybe in the future.

would it be possible to keep my current trans [auto] with a 4g63 running? mainly because i would like to do one thing at a time, engine swap THEN manual conversion [which is probably going to suck, don't know...how hard is that?], THEN maybe AWD after all that. but if i grabbed a tsi motor from an auto version, swapped all that in, how difficult would it be to later on swap in a manual trans? like i said before i'd much rather do this one at a time to keep my car's downtime as little as possible. but if converting auto to manual isn't TOO difficult [i know it is to an extent, fabricating a clutch/etc] then i may go ahead and do that as well.

sound good?

Old 10-21-2006, 09:33 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

If you want to do a fwd, then yes, just stick with the GS-T or TSi models so that you won't have to find a FWD tranny. It's "easy enough" <---that's relative of course...to do the AWD swap. Here's a link to the AWD how-to.
Nope, you have to swap out the tranny with the motor. The tranny that's in the Avenger is not compatible with the 4g63 so if you want a manual later, you might as well do it then. You won't have to fabricate anything for the clutch either, just make sure you grab the donor car and have it available so that you can just go to it and get anything you may have missed. Remember, both cars are the exact same from the nose to the end of the front seats. They are both produced out of Normal IL. and are both based off of the Galant chassis, so a lot of parts are hot swapable....some as a whole though, like the motor and tranny.

Old 10-21-2006, 10:09 PM
airman
Rookie

awesome man! glad for your replies. one last thing though...i'm probably just going to stick with FWD for the first step. but if i wanted to go AWD later...would i have to swap out the transmission with an AWD one? i would imagine so. and if that's the case i'll just stick with FWD for a good while. =]

Old 10-21-2006, 10:26 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Yes, you'll have to find an AWD tranny to complete the swap. It's actually kind of convenient if you think about it. You can drive it FWD while you load up on parts, clean them, restore them, and so on.

Old 11-10-2006, 03:35 PM
airman
Rookie

silver...i have a guy in atlanta that says he has a 4g63-t from a '91 eclipse...will that work?

Old 11-11-2006, 10:42 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

You'll have to do a lot more work to get the 1st gen motor to work on our cars. For one the driver's side mount needs to swapped out to work like the 2g mount or the driver's side of the motor will lean down on that side. Then there's the wiring harness....the 2g ECU will work with a 2g instrument cluster which in turn fits and works perfectly with our cars, there will be a lot of splicing to get the 1g ECU to work with our cars, not to mention the speedo is analog...actually, it's a cable that runs from the tranny to the speedo gauge.
In a nutshell, too much work to get the entire 1g motor to work in a "2g-esque" car. IMO, stick with a 2g motor, later on, get a 1g 6 bolt block (you'll still have to mod a little but it's mostly grinding to make things fit).

So bottom line, stick with a 2g motor for now, don't worry about a 6 bolt block unless you can get one at the same time. I'm under the impression that you want to be able to swap and drop and that's what the 2g will offer over the 1g. Keep note that you will still have to modify things even with the 2g motor, but you won't have to modify everything. One step at a time works the best IMO

Old 11-12-2006, 02:16 AM
cky00

does the engine out of the eagle tsi come with a turbo or if i decide to do this too will i also be shelling out a bunch of money for a turbo too

Old 11-12-2006, 02:16 AM
airman
Rookie

alright cool, had the turn the guy down. no rush though.

what all needs to be done for the 2g to go into our cars? [the modding portion] i remember you saying the motor mount brackets or whatever should be removed from the donor car and welded onto the avenger. is that totally necessary?

anywho, i hate to ask and if it's not too much work, is there anywhere i could find a step by step writeup? [sortof like the 3.0l swap howto thread stickied in the forum] if so don't worry about the trans portion for now...i might be able to get a friend of mine at a trans shop to help me do all of that good stuff

it really doesn't seem too hard...especially if the ecu hooks right up with no splicing. that saves a few good hours right there

thanks again silver yet again,
-mike

EDIT:
@cky...the motors out of a talon tsi and tsi awd, as well as the eclipse gst and gsx already have turbos, but ofcourse they're factory turbos, but i believe some of them did have g16s in them. plus you can always upgrade those later.

Quick Reply: Eagle Talon TSI Swap?