1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Eagle Talon TSI Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 02:25 AM
airman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Eagle Talon TSI Swap?

one more question silver, sorry bro. but when i go to grab the engine and or that someone has already pulled, what all do i need to look at? i mean...who knows, maybe everything on the inside is busted to hell. i mean i'll probably end up gettin new gaskets for everything while it's out as it is before it goes into my car. especially a trans. i know nothing of transmissions. plus i know you can't just look at one on the outside and tell.

so if that's the case...is there any good way to tell?

Old 11-14-2006, 02:45 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

There's really no way to tell, unless the car is up and running or you have it already torn apart, lol. There's really nothing in between the two.
If the car has been sitting for awhile, chances are, something is broke or not acting right. I wouldn't suggest trying to save money at this stage of the swap. Go ahead and have it rebuilt with ARP head bolts, Cometic headgasket, honed, dipped, cleaned, blah, blah. The tranny is something that can be removed with much headache so you can just bolt that right back up after the motor is rebuilt. The reason I say to have the motor built "now", is because, it's more of a headache to remove and then rebuild after putting it in...especially after having to fab up the mounts and crossmember.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:19 PM
airman
Rookie

yeah i figured that was the case.

anyways i was planning on rebuilding it anyways, really just new gaskets/seals/etc. but i wasn't planning on the whole works...since i can't do the honing/dipping/etc myself, it could get costly plus i don't readily have a truck available i can haul the motor around with, so that could cause a few extra headaches. how much would that cost to be done anyways? [honing/dipping/cleaning]

also...i noticed in the pictures you have on cardomain, the motor you have is flipped to what it used to be, and what mine currently is now, correct? like all the pulleys are on the driver side as opposed to stock with them being on the passenger side. i know the 420A has them on the passenger side as well. that means all of the pumps/alternator/etc will have to be relocated, correct? my MAIN concern are the powersteering, brake, and ac pumps. alternator wouldn't be hard at all. those are just wires. with the hydraulic and a/c lines, it'd be a nightmare trying to get those relocated, atleast what i would imagine. as of now, with the motor swap, i guess that's the only thing i'm concerned about.

my next concern is the transmission. is it going to have to be flushed/etc when moved to my car? what all does that encompass...i know i'll have to get a clutch pedal and a center console from a manual venge...but on a scale of 1-10 how difficult would the trans swap be? lots of questions, i apologize. but you're really the only knowledgable source i can find on the net that can help me out.

thanks again mate

Old 11-20-2006, 03:40 PM
airman
Rookie

silver, i came across one about 2 hours away that says he is willing to sell me his engine/trans if he can't get rid of the car within a month or so.

i really want to know what i am getting myself into, considering i'm more so of an "advanced novice" with cars. never performed an engine swap before nor do i know the specifics and troubleshooting of each part.

again my main concern for now is that the pulleys for the 4g63 are on the passenger side[from what i interpreted from pictures of your car silver], as the pulleys for my current 6g73 are on the driver side. now, my main problem would be having to relocate the power steering pump/ac compressor/etc as they have piping instead of flexible wires. i really don't wanna fool with that...but i will if i have to.

what say ye, silver?

Old 11-21-2006, 03:24 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The motor's orientation is nothing to be concerned about since you will be welding custom mounts anyway. The biggest concern is getting it aligned. Since the Eclipse has the same things the Avenger has, you will need to take everything, everything on the suspension, a/c lines, power steering lines, everything. It's literally a complete swap over. You won't keep much of anything in the Avenger's engine bay stock.

Old 11-23-2006, 04:09 AM
airman
Rookie

ah alright. so basically i'm pretty much going to need to find a wrecked talon/eclipse or buy one, pull what i need, and sell it out as a roller? gotchya. makes things a little more complicated. this may have to wait a few more months then. blast. oh well. when it happens, and it WILL happen, i will make an extensive guide.

Old 11-23-2006, 09:39 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

A donor car nearby would be ideal. You could use it as a referrence to installation.
When it happens and you're done, the final product will put a smile from ear to ear for several months on your face

Quick Reply: Eagle Talon TSI Swap?