1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

No Spark, Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Schrum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Spark, Please help!

About a month ago I purchased a 1998 Avenger with a fresh engine rebuild on the 2.0L 4cyl.Two days later it would not start. I found that there was no spark in cylinders 1 & 4. Changed the coil , cam sensor, crank sensor, and theecu each twice (yes I'm flatbroke) and still no spark. There is no resistance between the ecu and the coil. I turned to the dealer and they justrepeated what I did. Doesanything else need to be checked?

Old 03-12-2007, 10:20 PM
candela
Default RE: No Spark, Please help!

I'm in the same boat. I picked up an '07 for my son. He replaced the spark plugs, put it all back together and the car hasn't started since. Replaced the distro, wires, plugs, the plunge sensor on the the throtle body, upper and lower plenums. The dam thing has no spark, pulled the fuel line off the fuel rail and cranked.. Fuel spewed out so I know it's getting fuel. Pull the plugs and they are wet. Anyone have any suggestions? On another note, when we got the car it had a generic key. Is the key supposed to have a chip in it? My son called the dealer and they quoted him $250 for a key, seems a lil overpriced to me.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:36 PM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker

I recently work on a car that had no spark it was a short in the pcm but you guys arlready hit that Up so I have no Idea.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:07 PM
candela

Well I just sent my son to Radio Shack to pick up a 30A relay. I'm hoping the ASD relay is the problem. Do any of you guys have chips in your keys?

Old 03-12-2007, 11:13 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The ASD relay is a good choice, let us know how that goes.
As for having a chip in our keys, there isn't one. You can go to any key shop and get a Chrysler key made. As for you info, you stated that you have an "07", is that correct? Or did you mean a '97?
If it is an '07, it seems rather fast to have spark issues with your car being so new.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:13 AM
candela

Yeah I meant '97, sorry. Well he picked up a 30A GP Sorensen relay and nothing happened. It does not turn over. I had him do the screwdriver in the spark wire boot as well and there was no spark. Are there any other suggestions?

Old 03-13-2007, 01:26 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The next thing to try is the CPS sensor under the distributor. The only other thing it could be is the PCM. If you can find one at a junk yard, you'll save some money doing it that way.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:36 AM
candela

Physically under or within the distro. We replaced the distro altogether.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:46 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Oh, it's below the distro, not within, sorry. The one in the distro is the cam sensor and the one further down is the crank sensor
I don't think you can put the relays on incorrectly, but I say check once more just to be on the safe side

Old 03-13-2007, 02:14 AM
candela

Much thanks for the quick replies. Hopefully I should be back home tomorrow. I agree, can't see how the relay can be mounted wrong, if there were a way, I am sure my 18 year old son would find it. Is that sensor in the Haynes Manual? I will stop at the salvaje yard on my way home and pick up a crank sensor. Is there anything else in that surrounding area that I compares to this sensor? I'm just making sure I don't go pulling the wrong component. Thx again.

Quick Reply: No Spark, Please help!