1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

One day it starts, next day it wont. HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 02:52 PM
JLA74
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One day it starts, next day it wont. HELP!!

I have been having this little issue with my 98 avenger 2.5 v6for a couple of weeks now. Here is a little history. One day I went out and moved the car out of the driveway to let the kids ride their bikes. Later that evening I went to move it back and it wouldn' start, just turned over and over and over. I pushed it in the driveway and decided to investigate the next day. Decided to replace the plugs and wires. Did so and the car started. Drove it for a week and then the problem starts again. One day it will start and run great and the next it wont start. It's getting spark, I can hear the fuel pump running when I turn the key but it won't start, just turns over. I have been pretty lucky the car has been my driveway everytime it won't start. Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 03-28-2007, 10:11 PM
JLA74
Rookie
Default RE: One day it starts, next day it wont. HELP!!

Ok, so far the car hasn't set any codes and it appears to have starting issues when it rains or weather conditions are wet or damp. Has any one ran into a problem like this before?

Old 03-30-2007, 11:49 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

That's a new one for me, although it sounds like a MAF issue 4g63t motors get when they have GM MAFs used with them.
Perhaps, check the distributor cap for leaks. As a really quick check, have someone crank the car while you tap the top of the ASD relay or just replace it. Any 12volt relay will work.
If that doesn't work, you may have to replace the crank position sensor under the distro.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:00 AM
peachy_fkn_keen

I've had the same problem with my '97 Avenger...after the second time I took the battery out and went and had it tested. Turned out that battery was bad. Of course, I assumed that was the problem and it was fixed. WRONG! It's done it 2 more times since I put a new battery in it. It only does it if it's wet weather or really cold though. If ya figure it out though let me know. Thanks!

Old 08-23-2007, 10:56 AM
JLA74
Rookie

Well I finally decided to change out the CPS. After reading and investigating it seemed like the most possible sollution. I have a couple of questions though. The parts store offered two options for the 98, an upper and a lower CPS. The lower looks like a smal roll of dimes with the 90 degree tap for the bolt and the upper looked like a flat square. With the location of the roll of dimes CPS I would think this would be the upper.( on top of the tranny at about 1:00) Anyway this is the one I changed. Also it seemed to have a little room for play in and out of the tranny. Is it supposed to be pushed all the way into the gasket? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:05 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Via Email
"First of all thank you for your post about testing the CPS. I was
wondering if you could answer a question for me. When I went to the parts
store they told me there were two options, an upper and a lower. If I
am not mistaken the one you are talking about is the upper, (looks like
a roll of dimes with the 90 degree bolt tab). Where would the lower
one be located. Also when installing the new upper (if that is in fact
the upper?) I noticed some play in and out from the trani. Is the
sensor supposed to be pressed into the tranny until the gasket touches? My
car still started a bit slow and that is why I have some questions.
Thanks for your help"

I THINK the Two Options are old style 95/96 and new style 97+ they have different connectors ...
Is this what you got

Old 08-23-2007, 10:58 PM
JLA74
Rookie

Yes that is what I installed. First they ordered something entirely different and said that it was the upper sensor. When I took that one in to show them what I wanted they said it was the lower (at least in their computer system). The car so far has been starting but only time will tell.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:41 AM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker

I found this on the web hopfully this may give you a hand.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...-avenger-2.htm

Old 08-24-2007, 09:34 AM
JLA74
Rookie

I have another update for you. After replacing the CPS I had taken it for a little test spin (mile or two) to see how it ran and everything appeared fine. This morning I get in, it starts right up and all is well until I get 8 miles down the road. Idle get really rough, I am barely able to take off from the stop sign, and can't get over 40 mph after driving for one mile. I turned around and headed back home. Luckily I made it; slow and very unsteady. Seems almost like someone is under the hood taking the battery cable off then back on, then off. Just cutting in and out spuratically. Could the position of the CPS sensor be too far out our do you think I have other issues all of a sudden.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:00 PM
josef15111
Veteran

Hi mine did that same thing but wouldnt shift outta secound gear i couldnt go fast i had to slowly and lightly touch the gas to go it spuder and turded out on me, this happened after i sprayed my engine bay down to clean it up. i got it back home and just decided to try and switch the relays on the firewall around and WOW it worked fine i switch the two middle ones around i think one got wet and had bad connection. dont know if it helps but with the water and stuff you where saying it may be....

Joe

Quick Reply: One day it starts, next day it wont. HELP!!