1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

New Mud Tires w/pics!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 10:20 PM
oxygen454
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Ok I have been wondering long enough. What does it mean and how does it work ... when you tighten up your torsion bars? Im guessing I could do the same to my truck. Is there any harm doing this? Disadvantages?

Mine might already be tightened up and didn't know it lol.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:46 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by oxygen454
Ok I have been wondering long enough. What does it mean and how does it work ... when you tighten up your torsion bars? Im guessing I could do the same to my truck. Is there any harm doing this? Disadvantages?

Mine might already be tightened up and didn't know it lol.
By Cranking up or tightening up the bars your tightening the torsion bar keys/anchors. By doing so you increase the tension of the spring which causes lift.

Here is a How to I written up. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1979009-post2.html

The downside is stiff suspension and less articulation. But advantage is cheep lift.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:08 PM
capricorn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi again, crazy4x4rt

I know you answered a couple of questions for me about swapping out my 5.2 in my 92 for a 5.9. I found a 96 4x4 Ram engine, came with the OBD2 controller that I'm sure I can,t use. I know you said my electronics would work with a mild rebuild on a 5.9 and you also gave me some part numbers for the performance ECM you got from Mopar I guess. I can't seem to find that link now. I have the hardest time navigating this forum for some reason.

I found a couple of part numbers in the mopar off road performance cat. but when I try to go for price and availability they just drop the part not found bomb on me.

5.9 magnum, auto trans ecm, Part # P5249935; shows no pic, don't know if it's obdll or what.
94-95 ram 5.9 with auto trans, Part # P5249546; don't know if my harness will plug in?

Can I just get a full size Ram, 5.9, 93-95 controller out of a junk yard and expect it to work?

How do I get rid of my egr without setting codes?

Sorry I keep bugging you about this, I'll write them down this time.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:13 PM
capricorn
Default Pictures

Oh, by the way, nice pics. How do you add pics to this site?

Old 04-20-2011, 10:45 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by capricorn
I know you answered a couple of questions for me about swapping out my 5.2 in my 92 for a 5.9. I found a 96 4x4 Ram engine, came with the OBD2 controller that I'm sure I can,t use. I know you said my electronics would work with a mild rebuild on a 5.9 and you also gave me some part numbers for the performance ECM you got from Mopar I guess. I can't seem to find that link now. I have the hardest time navigating this forum for some reason.

I found a couple of part numbers in the mopar off road performance cat. but when I try to go for price and availability they just drop the part not found bomb on me.

5.9 magnum, auto trans ecm, Part # P5249935; shows no pic, don't know if it's obdll or what.
94-95 ram 5.9 with auto trans, Part # P5249546; don't know if my harness will plug in?

Can I just get a full size Ram, 5.9, 93-95 controller out of a junk yard and expect it to work?

How do I get rid of my egr without setting codes?

Sorry I keep bugging you about this, I'll write them down this time.
You can do the OBDII swap with it but TONS of wiring to do. Way to much unless you have 100% the other vehicle to pull off slowly.

Yes you can use your stock electronics. The fuel injectors might be the only thing you should get from the 5.9. If I remember right 96 will still have the same injector connectors.

For PCM/ECU your stock 5.2 will run it, but will not put out 100% of what the 5.9 can put out. 92-93 Ram and maybe Van 5.9 will work. 94-95 PCM Ram 5.9 will work too, you will just get a soft code for trans temp sensor, 94-up Rams had it when Dakotas didn't. But it does not set off a Check Engine Light.

But I strongly suggest the Mopar High Performance Computer, to get the most out of the 5.9 swap. The only 5.9 Mopar Per. comp. for OBD1 is P5249546 like you listed. And as before you will get the soft code for the trans temp sensor.

Here is the other post you asked about it. You can always go to your profile to see what posts and threads you started.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...e-old-dog.html

Originally Posted by capricorn
Oh, by the way, nice pics. How do you add pics to this site?
Thanks!

To upload pictures.

You can create a photo album on this site, Go to "User CP" (Control panel). Near the top of each page in the black strip.

Or you can do a 3rd party website like www.photobucket.com or www.tinypic.com and use the photo link that uses the [IMG] tags.

Or upload it to the post by going to the "Go Advance" post tab next to "post reply" at the bottom then to "Manage Attachments" near the bottom. Then "Browse". Find th picture on your computer files. Then Upload.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:11 PM
capricorn
Default email request

Hi again Crazy; I was wondering if I could have your email address. You answered some of my questions but I'm sure to have more like, Why does the Mopar performance site says 'part not found' when I punch in that part # P5249546 looking for the price? It still listed it in the catalog on line, I downloaded it. What about the rev limiter? I'm restricted to 5500 rpm before I fall on my face with the stock setup. What a bitch. Let me know, and I'll understand if you want to keep it to this instead of email. I just haven't figured this stuff out yet and I know how to save emails for the future. Thanks again.

Oh yeah, I'm glad you liked the cowl ind. hook scoop. My wife calls it the million dollar hood not cause of the money but I spent six months of weekends sanding, glassing, sanding glassing...To get it perfect. Funny what's important to some of us kooks huh.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:47 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Ya I can PM you my email address. You can also PM me on here. But go ahead and post up in here is okay or better yet make a new thread about it. I'm sure there are TONS others that are thinking of the same questions you are.

I don't know why the MP site says that, but go to www.summitracing.com you can type in the part number and have it pull up. Best prices too.

As for the rev limiter, I think it still has one just way down the line, I haven't hit it.

LOL That is a lot of time on it, but she does look good!
I hate body work, WAY WAY WAY WAY too much sanding!!!!! Some people have patience for that some don't. LOL!

Old 04-22-2011, 09:44 PM
capricorn
Default PM?

I guess that means 'Private Mail'. Maybe your right about the new thread cause I've been doing a lot of looking into this and found that staying with a 5.2 may not even be a bad thing for what I want to do? I'm shooting for the best of all worlds for driving on the street; I can't stand the smell of rice rocket exhaust, they don't exactly walk away but it sucks I can't move on past em. Some things are impossible I guess, they run 3 to 4 hundred horse with only 1500 lbs of *** to pull and I have to drag about 3k lb of weight, so I'd need 600 hp to be able to pull that off, that is not a daily driver, with ac plus a nice streetable idle. I'm starting to think the best answer is a light/cheater nitrous bump, so I'm going into that study also.

I need to tell you that, unbelievable as this may sound!!! I have found an engine man that was Big Daddy, Don Garlets crew chief! I can't hardly believe it either but I've been quiet assured! His name is Steve Maksymyk, he's an old guy, (he built my drive shaft and I didn't have a clue at the time who he was), he has his own shop here in Ft. Walton Beach, Fl. Where I work! He said he would help me build a 360 but said I might be sorry that I chose that over the 5.2 for what I'm discribing that I want to do. Streetability with torque, (what I need is hard fast torque, not hp), plus daily driver economy, every day driver stuff. He's telling me that I can go with the 10:1 compression aluminum heads but my cam choice, (R/T), might not be the best way to go. He won't be cheap but said that all the build my 360 will need will have to be figured along with what aluminum head choice I'm looking and that will determine the final compression ratio and that will determine what cam I can run. He's says a RV cam will probably be what I need, (something that will drag off a mountain top)???

He said I need to find out what the specs/parameters are on the ECM I'm wanting to run. He is a carb man but will help me if I do my homework. So I have to find out what the specs are on P5249546. And can I find one? I'll check out the source you provide on this thread and I probably should have started a new one hear. Can you do that with this?

Later...Dennis

Sheez, so much for building an R/T for my Dakota huh? Anyway things are spinning all around in my head and I'm tired. I drive a truck for a living and have lots of time to think later, plus lots to think, study and read on. Talk to you later and we must start a new thread on this. Hope your up for it, it's exciting I think, Don Garlits former crew chief, golly!

Dennis/capricorn

Old 04-29-2011, 01:09 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

It sounds like a good project with a good builder. Let us know how it all goes.

Quick Reply: New Mud Tires w/pics!