1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Buying lifted dakota

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 10:30 PM
96Kooter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying lifted dakota

I'm going to look at this dakota in a couple days and wondered what y'all thought. I asked the owner about the lift but he didn't seem to know exactly what it was. I assume it's the 4" trailmaster lift? If so, is there anything specific I should inspect to make sure it was done correctly? I'm asking because I heard the lift involved cutting a frame crossmember and have never bought a truck with a lift before. Thanks for any/all advice!

Old 04-27-2012, 10:12 PM
teamscoff

Hey there. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just as long as you're not off-roading. It might be a good idea to take it to a welding shop and see if they can repair, or create something to replace the part that has been cut. personally, the price is what bothers me about this CL post. 2995 for 200k miles seems like a little much. I wouldn't go over 2 grand for over 200k miles.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ya the price needs to be way lower. But it could be a good truck. Test drive it, push it hard that is when you will find its bad spots.
If you buy it post up pics all over especially the lift if it is a trailmaster 4in suspension lift kit. Trailmaster also makes shocks for our trucks so the windshield banner may represent that.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:50 PM
96Kooter

I ended up gettin' the truck for $1700. I might have been able to get him to go a little lower but he already had phone call offers of $2700; Also I figured that'd be a fair price since they don't make the suspension lift anymore and darn near everything works perfect on the truck. Definitely a project truck though. A few of the most immediate needs are new tires, an alignment, valve cover gaskets, and a good interior cleaning. I'll get pics posted up as soon as I can.

Thanks for the feedback!

Edit: I uploaded some various pics of the truck (known leaks, interior, the worst areas of rust, suspension lift, etc.)

Last edited by 96Kooter; 04-28-2012 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Pictures!
Old 05-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Sauxon
Professional

Wow it really is in rough shape. But like you said its a project and they don't make the lift anymore. Good luck

Old 05-06-2012, 08:31 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That is a good project. One piece at a time! Keep on posting the pics as it comes along.

Quick Reply: Buying lifted dakota