1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

92+ Headers on Premag Engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 10:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

EGR introduces exhaust gases into the combustion chamber to cool combustion. Cooler temps (in a relative manner.....) means less oxides of nitrogen form, a pollutant. It doesn't actually improve performance......

Old 12-11-2017, 10:05 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

EGR doesn't improve PERFORMANCE, but it DOES improve gas mileage.

At least on the highway; it's not supposed to be recirculating at low speed and when the motor is cold.

RwP

Old 12-11-2017, 10:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
EGR doesn't improve PERFORMANCE, but it DOES improve gas mileage.

At least on the highway; it's not supposed to be recirculating at low speed and when the motor is cold.

RwP
I've disabled it on several different vehicles, and I really didn't notice any difference in fuel consumption. But then, I have a neutronium foot anyway.....

Old 12-12-2017, 08:41 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Heh.

Different motor, different tuning.

But a friend of mine was carefully monitoring over some West Texas runs; EGR at max and 80MPH yielded a 20% improvement in gas mileage; from 20 to 24.

Shower down on the throttle, EGR will shut off (to enrich the mixture), and presto, no savings.

YMMV natch; and "one anecdote does not a data set make". But still, it's worth keeping for a highway car; worth disabling for a race car; make your own choice in between *grins*

RwP

Old 12-15-2017, 09:50 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 87longbed
I assume this question has been asked several times, but my Google search skills aren't up to the task. I have an 87 LA block. Premag headers (like the Edelbrock 68512/68513) are more or less non-existent. However, 92+ headers are rather available from many sources. The question is....will they fit? Are there any additional concerns?

I believe something like this will bolt to your engine. https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-92-02-R...9aBJQL&vxp=mtr

You could simply block off the egr mount on the header.

Then you could use this headpipe. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Walker-Exha...xaAnKz&vxp=mtr

You would need to extend the wiring for your o2 sensor.

But, the one concern I have is, will the headers clear the cab? It seems member Robertmee had a problem on a 90 truck he has. You may want to shoot him a pm and ask about it. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/members...robertmee.html

Quick Reply: 92+ Headers on Premag Engine