1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

block drain size for tank heater nipple

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 08:44 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default block drain size for tank heater nipple

Hey all
Finally started working on my 94 Dakota, done a lot of work recently, replaced timing chain, water pump, all new brake lines, brake jobs (fr & rr to come) etc.
Anyway, I'm in the midwest and want to add a tank heater, I have a 1000 watt zerostart that I'm not using and I'll install that one.
My problem is that I cannot find the block drain nipple that will fit. Besides the fact that I'm never sure what the threaded side is (maybe 3/8" npt?).

So if anyone has the size of the block drain plug or knows the part number for a 5/8" hose nipple that will fit the 3.9L please let me know.

Thanks
Steve A

Old 11-12-2018, 04:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Pipe thread always screws me up. I just take the plug to the hardware store, and then find what I need.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:08 AM
glenlloyd
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Pipe thread always screws me up. I just take the plug to the hardware store, and then find what I need.
Thanks for the response, I tried all the hardware stores locally but luck, the size is 1/4" npt x 5/8" barbed, no one in town seems to have that connector.

I can find it online but that would be several days out to get it and this truck is going on a trip for Thanksgiving...and actually before that a little too.

Might be able to get one in time but not sure.

Thanks
Steve A

Old 11-13-2018, 02:07 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

If you know the size, put the plug in, and run without the tank heater, while waiting for the nipples to come in.

It won't bother the truck any, and I recommend warm pants, socks, and shoes, along with a light jacket and possibly driving gloves for the meantime.

RwP

Last edited by RalphP; 11-13-2018 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Added to the first line.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:11 AM
glenlloyd
Veteran

Thanks for the advice Ralph, I just finished up the timing chain, water pump, broken exhaust mani bolts and brakes all around, I'd prefer to not go back and drain off the entire cooling system again if I can help it. When I first posted up the size request I didn't know what it was, but after tromping around for a few days looking at what people had to offer I figured out what it was.

I had kind of hoped someone would chime in with where they found one but that didn't happen.

Steve A

Old 11-14-2018, 09:12 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Heh. I live in Louisiana; we don't need no stinkin' block heaters down here!

Even when we set record low temps in November (got down to *GASP!* 29F or -2C this morning ... )

Yah, I hate wasting the antifreeze myself; so far I'm keeping the Cougar at about a 30% mix due to the leaking water pump (is on my list to do, but have other things to do also!)

RwP

Old 11-14-2018, 12:24 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran

Originally Posted by RalphP
Heh. I live in Louisiana; we don't need no stinkin' block heaters down here!

Even when we set record low temps in November (got down to *GASP!* 29F or -2C this morning ... )

Yah, I hate wasting the antifreeze myself; so far I'm keeping the Cougar at about a 30% mix due to the leaking water pump (is on my list to do, but have other things to do also!)

RwP
Louisiana might be nice in the winter but I read your 'wallet' post and it sounds like your summers are miserable!!!

I'll probably order one up one of the nipples and then deal with it when it gets here, or just another time. I also have a block heater that I'm going to install today before I refill the system. I won't likely waste the coolant but it will need to be captured and filtered before putting it back in, there's just so much of it from a full system drain!

Need to get this thing out on the road for testing though, had to fix some wiring from mice and a lot of other things and I need to get the interior back in it too. But before I take off for Thanksgiving I need to be sure and get some test runs on the highway to make sure it'll make the trip.

It was a cheap truck to buy but it's too bad the owner let it go and let it sit for so long.

Steve A

Old 11-18-2018, 12:29 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran

Ended up ordering one but since I was really wanting to get the truck out on the road I installed a block heater (that I had on the shelf for years!) in the passenger side of the engine. For now this will have to do as winter is coming and I do like to have starting assistance. Thought about adding a rubber pad heater to the side of the oil pan too, but it would be pretty small because of the shape of the pan.

Steve

Quick Reply: block drain size for tank heater nipple