1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

PS cooler or not PS cooler - what decides?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 02:38 AM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default PS cooler or not PS cooler - what decides?

Ok, so I was recently underneath a 1994 Dak 3.9L AT ext cab basically identical to the one I have and I noticed that the PS line had a small cooler in the middle of it just at the front of the engine.

The production decal happened to still be attached and there was nothing about it that wasn't just the same as mine and I don't have the PS cooler.

Anyone know why some would have it and some not and what the deciding factor is?

Thx!

steve

Old 11-30-2018, 08:11 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Towing package probably.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:39 AM
glenlloyd
Veteran

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Towing package probably.
I thought that too but nothing was listed for towing and there was no reese type hitch installed. The specs were just like my truck and I don't have any towing package on the build sheet.

Further....a cooler on the PS for towing? Doesn't that seem odd to you? How would there be any additional burden on the PS system on a 4x2 for any reason?

I find this really odd, I did get the VIN for that truck, should email for the build sheet to see what comes back.

Steve

Old 11-30-2018, 02:14 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

For my Cougar, it was due to the possibility of "spirited" driving in what was basically a Thunderbird SC but with the 5.0HO instead of the 3.8SC.

And how much heat can be trapped under the hood of a car with a V8 shoved in where a v6 was designed as the max motor ...

RwP

Old 11-30-2018, 06:58 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran

Originally Posted by RalphP
For my Cougar, it was due to the possibility of "spirited" driving in what was basically a Thunderbird SC but with the 5.0HO instead of the 3.8SC.

And how much heat can be trapped under the hood of a car with a V8 shoved in where a v6 was designed as the max motor ...

RwP
That is true about the spatial issues with heat.

The only thing I can find different from the VIN is the assembly plant, which for the junk yard truck was Warren (Vin 11=S) and for mine is unknown (Vin digit 11=W), otherwise the vin is identical, but I haven't yet requested a build sheet for the junk yard truck...

Steve A

Old 11-01-2019, 11:41 PM
Dibbons
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My fully loaded 1996 Dakota 3.9 5-speed 4 X 4 has every option (except power mirrors) and has the power steering cooler. I have always wondered why the cooler? Well, it does have the towing package, so that is good educated guess. Dad special ordered the truck new from the dealer, it's mine now.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:23 AM
glenlloyd
Veteran

I have a sneaking suspicion that it was luck of the draw. It could have been what ever box got opened when or some other factor, it could also be tow package except I've seen trucks with tow package without the PS cooler.

And for that matter what does the PS system really have to do with towing? Zilch.

Steve

Old 11-03-2019, 09:13 AM
Dibbons
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know the Moper performance vehicles back in the '60's and '70's that had performance ratio differentials had special equipment (viscous drive radiator fans, etc.). I believe it was because cruising at higher RPM's causes more heat build-up in all systems that use fluids (radiator, transmission, differential, power steering). Power steering coolers were most likely standard on police packages, for longevity sake, if nothing else. Running an oil cooler on either transmission or engine oil is supposed to extend the life of the motor/transmission in all cases.

Quick Reply: PS cooler or not PS cooler - what decides?