1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

New to the 4x4 World.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 05:18 PM
87V6Dakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to the 4x4 World.....

ORIGINAL: AirForceGuy

I've always pull the starter out on my 91 4wd without pulling the steering shaft - it's a bit tight, but if you turn the starter just right, you can squeese it out. If you take off the left front tire and remove the rubber fender liner, you can get to the starter bolts easier. Or, you can take off your front driveshaft and get to boltsfrom the bottom. As for the clicking starter, is it a big single click, or repeating clicks? On mine, I had the single loud click which was the starter solenoid not making good contact. I bought a rebuild kit for it ($12.99 at Advance Auto Parts - www.partsamerica.com,part number: ND34SOL) and it works everytime.
Ya Its a Single Loud Click. a Rebuild Kit huh? that sounds better than a new starter. is the rebuild hard to do? and thankz for the info on how to get in to get the bolts out. that will help out big time!

Old 05-01-2007, 10:36 PM
AirForceGuy
Rookie

The rebuild is a piece of cake. It comes with easy to understand instructions. If you want to see how to do it just go to this link: http://www.nasyard.com/click/Main_Li...ion_Pages.html

Gerry

Old 05-01-2007, 10:52 PM
AirForceGuy
Rookie

One more thing, go ahead pull your starter and follow the instructions on the link above to open the starter. That way, you can check to see if it needs a rebuild BEFORE you buy the kit or even better yet, just take it to the auto partsstore to be tested..
Your problem could still be a bad connection at your battery/starter or even an oil leak. I had a friend whose truck showed the classic symptoms of battery, battery connection, or starter problems. It would just click once when trying to start it, it wouldn't jumpstart, and it lost all electrical when it clicked (lights, radio, etc). But if you pushed the truck down the road and then popped the clutch, it would start and run - though kind of rough. It ended up being an oil leak. The oil was leaking down the side of the block and making contact with the positive connection on the starter and shorting out the starting system. He cleaned up the leak, and it started right up.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:41 PM
87V6Dakota

Thank You i Will Definatly look into that. i did spray some Engine Degreaser down around the starter. think that might cause problems?i'll have to do this once it stops raining here in utah.....