1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

no 12v at a/c compressor

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 02:19 AM
1993dakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no 12v at a/c compressor

my a/c was doing fine until i wason my way from work, it stop blowin cold checked the freon level it was fine. Check relays, fuses, changed low pressure switch. But i run 12v to the compressor it will come on and blow cold. Please what could be the problem, and really stumped. also changed the control in the inside. please anybody

Old 06-01-2007, 11:20 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: no 12v at a/c compressor

IIRC, there is also a high-pressure switch (which, basically, cuts off power to the compressor if the high-pressure side gets too high).
You might try doing a search, I think a similar subject has been brought up before.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:27 PM
cdretc
Default RE: no 12v at a/c compressor

Hey I pretty much have the same problem. See my thread:

https://dodgeforum.com/m_859264/tm.htm

I am still waiting for a part to convert from R-12 to R134, but I doubt that I have a low pressure issue, as my AC also works (and blows cold air) when it gets 12V. I don't think my truck has a high pressure relay. I am starting to think that my ac switch is toast in the cabin...

Let me know if you found your problem. I'll try to work on my truck this weekend.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:29 PM
96rammaster
Default 3.9l a/c compressor no power

im having problems with my a/c compressor. i have a 96 ram 1500 with 3.9l v6 and the compressor is not blowing. its not engaging. i tested the high and low pressure switches and the power to the compressor and there is no power. i tried jumpin the swith on the low pressure side and it didnt do anything. i also switched the relay witht the horn relay witch was good, and it still didnt do anything. please if there is anything that someone has that might help, please post. im out of ideas. thanks

Old 07-06-2011, 10:31 PM
9652dakota
Veteran

first off for all of you. you need to need to go to the fsm and find a compressor clutch wiring diagram. start at the bottom and work up. you'll go from the compressor to your switches and relays then to the control switch in the cab. just work your way up from the ground (literally) till you find power. i say this because those parts are accesable. when you find power look at where it stopped and you should have your answer. high switch low switch control switch ground pdc splice fuse relay wire connector pin spread. endless things it could be. by testing the wires to see where power stops you can eliminate alott of the things you need to test.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:41 AM
mb22753076019

Ok, I'm new here, but I've dealt with A/C problems on some customers vehicle's with similar issues. First of all, Dodge Dakota's are almost entirely ground controlled. What that means is that, when you turn on the A/C, there should already be battery voltage at the compressor. When you turn it on, it should supply a ground to turn on the compressor. This is different from almost any other vehicle. Check the ground. If it grounds when you turn on the A/C, then you can run a power wire from just about anywhere. You probably aren't getting the ground from the control panel. The strangest one I ever saw was a blown reverse light fuse. The reverse light fuse back feeds into the thermistor circuit. The thermistor is in the evaporator core and is designed to turn off the compressor in a "freezing up" situation. If the thermistor isn't powered correctly, it will not allow the ground to pass through and go to the pressure switches, which in turn passes through to the compressor. A dakota wiring diagram is a pain to read and understand. I may be completely wrong in your situation, but it's worth checking. Look for a missing or blown reverse lamp fuse. Hope this helps. This problem took me about 4 hours to find one day. I even considered putting in a toggle switch until I actually found this problem. Good Luck. Also, if anyone needs help on issues, I have access to alldata, which has decent wiring diagrams and other technical info.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:34 PM
R-n-R

I have the same exact problem.... maybe one of us will figure it out!

Old 07-31-2021, 10:10 AM
Bgoforth99
Default Wiring for a 03 dodge ram 1500 4.7l

Originally Posted by mb22753076019
Ok, I'm new here, but I've dealt with A/C problems on some customers vehicle's with similar issues. First of all, Dodge Dakota's are almost entirely ground controlled. What that means is that, when you turn on the A/C, there should already be battery voltage at the compressor. When you turn it on, it should supply a ground to turn on the compressor. This is different from almost any other vehicle. Check the ground. If it grounds when you turn on the A/C, then you can run a power wire from just about anywhere. You probably aren't getting the ground from the control panel. The strangest one I ever saw was a blown reverse light fuse. The reverse light fuse back feeds into the thermistor circuit. The thermistor is in the evaporator core and is designed to turn off the compressor in a "freezing up" situation. If the thermistor isn't powered correctly, it will not allow the ground to pass through and go to the pressure switches, which in turn passes through to the compressor. A dakota wiring diagram is a pain to read and understand. I may be completely wrong in your situation, but it's worth checking. Look for a missing or blown reverse lamp fuse. Hope this helps. This problem took me about 4 hours to find one day. I even considered putting in a toggle switch until I actually found this problem. Good Luck. Also, if anyone needs help on issues, I have access to alldata, which has decent wiring diagrams and other technical info.

Hey im looking for the compleat a/c wiring diagram for my 02 ram. Any luck I can get that from. Ya

Old 07-31-2021, 11:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgoforth99
Hey im looking for the compleat a/c wiring diagram for my 02 ram. Any luck I can get that from. Ya
He hasn't been here for ten years, so, probably not.

Try here.

Old 07-24-2024, 08:14 PM
Loganb1996
Default I'm having this issue as we speak

Originally Posted by R-n-R
I have the same exact problem.... maybe one of us will figure it out!
I'm having this issue as we speak has anyone found the solution to the problem

Quick Reply: no 12v at a/c compressor