1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

92 Dakota starting problems when warm

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 05:28 AM
AhhhhBach
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Dakota starting problems when warm

I bought my 92 Dak Sport Club Cab new in August 92. I have a 3.9L V6 and have had it running great for years. Over the past couple of weeks after starting up cold (from overnight or seveal hours of rest), once theengine gets to normal operating temp and I make a brief stop that requires me to turn off the engine, I am having problems getting it started again. It turns over nicely, and is firing fine. It will sometimes sputter along for 30-45 seconds at 200rpm, but when I press the excellerator to rev it up, it sputters and dies. I installed a new fuel filter, which seemed to help for a few days. I also ran a can of SeaFoam through the fuel, without much noticible improvement.

An old mechanic neighbor of a friend saw me trying to get it going again after a short stop near his house. He suggested I pour a little fuel in the top of the carb (I know it is a throttle body, not carb), but I tried anyway. I turned it over a couple of times and it fires right up. I can rev it up and it holds at its normal idle speed. Wow, I was impressed. This also kind of let me know it might be a fuel issue. Could this be a fuel pump problem or something else in the fuel system? I also saw some mentions about anoxygen sensor. Is there anything else that seems obvious that I am missing?

Old 06-13-2007, 08:19 PM
Bad96_3.9
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 92 Dakota starting problems when warm

Have you checked the fuel pressure?

Old 06-13-2007, 08:38 PM
AhhhhBach

No, I haven't. What's the best way to check it?

Old 06-13-2007, 10:06 PM
OneBadKota
All Star

I would install a fuel pressure gauge. Check the lines, make sure they're not in an area getting too hot, causing vapor lock.You could have a bunch of junk sitting in the bottom of the tank...but I would make the fuel pump the last thing to check, because if it's like the one in my '95, not only is it expensive, but it's a PITA to drop the tank, yadda..

Old 06-14-2007, 03:56 AM
AhhhhBach

If I do have junk in the tank, I assume it is clogging up the fuel inlet tube, maybe a screen on it. How do I clean it without dropping the tank?

Old 06-14-2007, 01:17 PM
OneBadKota
All Star

If it does have junk in it, you'd want to drop it reguardless and clean everything. Just rent a transmission stand(if you can) and try and get the tank near E.
If you need to pull it, I recommend some help because you can only drop the tank a little bit and you need to try and get the wiring and tubing unhooked while trying to balance the tank.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:04 PM
Jim Haydon

Good Day All

Just new here at the forum. I also have a 92 with a 3.9 and have it seems the same type of problem. When cold she runs like a scart rabbit. After warm up all she'll do is buck and snort. Kinda acts like a timing problem but obviously not. No trouble codes are coming up. After warm up air is being sucked in throught the idle air venturi inthe throtle body. I pulled the IAC and the pintle showed no movement when the key was turned on nor did it move when the engine was started. I back probed the wiring and all signals and reference voltages are present. The book I have gives a very poor explanation of this system and I'm wondering if this could be the problem.

Any help suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jim

Old 06-24-2007, 05:34 PM
gb6491
Rookie

Here are some fixes that other members made:

As already suggested. the fuel pump: https://dodgeforum.com/m_695094/tm.htm

Hall effect pick-up: https://dodgeforum.com/m_676574/tm.htm

Crank sensor: https://dodgeforum.com/m_450082/tm.htm

Coil: https://dodgeforum.com/m_282481/tm.htm

Jim, here is some info on the IAC:
"My truck idles odd, or does not idle at all- It could be an Idle Air Control (IAC) motor problem. This is mounted on the back of the throttle body. It has a pintle that moves in and out (to control air flow to the engine when the engine is idling). You can take it off and clean it up and see if that helps. Also, while you have it out, have a helper turn the key on (but do NOT start the motor) while you look at it. The pintle should move (be "set" in place)." - https://dodgeforum.com/m_546492/tm.htm

Regards,
Greg

Old 06-25-2007, 02:40 PM
AhhhhBach

It ended up being the fuel pump that was going out. A fuel pressure gauge showed there was a definite problem. Once it got warmed up, the pump motor would just quit. Had to drop the tank and replace the fuel pump assembly and strainer. Cleaned out a lot of gunk in the tank. I went ahead a replaced the fuel filter again, since the one I replaced a few weeks back was already full of gunk again.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:05 PM
gb6491
Rookie

[sm=happy046.gif]Glad you got it fixed and thanks for posting what was repaired.
Regards,
Greg.

Quick Reply: 92 Dakota starting problems when warm