1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

water in exhaust pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 01:10 AM
flyers win the cup
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water in exhaust pipe

i have posted about overheating in my 89 4x4 3.9 dakota. the timing seems to be late no matter what i do.

i happen to notice today that there was water dripping out of the exhaust no matter how long it ran. my first thought was the head gasket but i checked the compression and it read between 165 and 175 on all 6 cylinders. then i pulled the back pressure transducer to the egr valve off and water came out of the bottom of it where it attaches to the exhaust. ( tube comming out of the bottom of the egr valve ) the water was clear not green.

could the antifreeze be going into the intake through the manifold. ive have never heard of this problem. the intake seems to be clean inside, no oil or fluid of any kind inside.

im desperate to get the truck running right. im living in the the slide in camper on the back which is not bad but i am stuck in my ex girlfriends yard and she has a new boyfriend. this is very uncomfertable. sorry about the personal aspects but now you know how desperate i am

Old 08-24-2007, 02:53 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: water in exhaust pipe

I belive it might be okay. It can just be condisation. when something gets hot the moister is pulled out of the air around it and turns into drops. I know when its cold outside my truck will give some drops out the tailpipe. I Dont know if that is what happening to yours. Something else it can be is the Head Gasket. leaking inbetween the cooling ports and the combustin chambers. I would think you would see smoke along with drops.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:43 AM
codydakota
Captain

soundsokay to me, just keep an eye on your fluid levels, especially antifreeze as that is what you thought problem was, and see if there is any significant flucuation.

Old 08-26-2007, 04:57 PM
flyers win the cup
Professional

thanks guys. i think you are both right about the water issue not being from the head gasket because of the compression pressures, but i should update you on what i found.

i ran the truck until it was warm. took the air filter assembly off and saw what i thought was water vapor rising up from the throttlebody bent over to have a look and breathed in a mouthful of stove oil fumes. got some gas out of the tank and it looks more like beer, it also reeks of stove oil fumes. as you can guess my day is ruined. the gas is in a pop bottle sitting in the sun for the past 3 hours in 30c ( 90f ) heat and i dont think any has evaporated.

going to try to clean out the system and see if i can get it running right.

read a lot about seamfoam, is it really as good as everyone says it is? and can i get it here in canada at carquest?

Old 08-30-2007, 12:11 PM
yougottit

Sounds like sabotage to me

Old 08-31-2007, 06:38 PM
flyers win the cup
Professional

cleaned out the fuel system and idle was perfect, checked the timing and it was right on. dirty fuel wll ruin your day.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:51 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

ya dirty fuel will. I have a 77 yamaha bike im restoring I have it running but smoking like hell I thought the piston rings were bad untill i smelled the gas and all the rust over the years had mixed in with the gas. it got nasty

Old 08-31-2007, 09:31 PM
flyers win the cup
Professional

yes your right. but dont ask chief wiggim for help.

Quick Reply: water in exhaust pipe