1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Just purchased a 1993 dakota and already having problems...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 08:06 PM
jushinator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased a 1993 dakota and already having problems...

Okmy dadjust recently purchased a 1993 dodge dakota 3.9, auto, 123k miles, ext cab.

First a quick radio question... The clock on the radio works but nothing else does. It has a cassette player and it has no sound when you try to play a cassette. When you push any of the buttons on the radio nothing happens at all, the only thing on the display is the clock. Even when you use the tune **** to tune a station it doesn't even show the channels you are surfing, just the clock. No sound what-so-ever.

Ok the other problem is this. My dad started the truck this morning and it idled for about 30 sec then died. He then started it again and itidledfor about 30 sec then died again. He then drove it to town aprx 6 miles from the house and then back. When he got the the driveway it quit while in drive. He was at the end of the driveway and put it in Neutral and tried to start it, but it just cranked and cranked and wouldn't start. He then put it in park and tried to start it and it started just fine. He then parked it at the house and decided to change the plugs.
He gapped the plugs and everything correctly and then tried to start the truck and it would just crank and crank but would not start. He then put the old plugs back in and it still wouldn't start. He tried spraying starter fluid in the carb and it still wouldn't start. He tried peridiocally all day to start it and it would just crank. Then finally about 5 hours after he changed the plugs it started up. Since then I drove it about 15 miles with no problems and it starts fine everytime.

Any idea what this problem can be ?

After it started up I check the code and it came back with a code 12 and that was it, so I disconnected the battery and cleaned the terminals. If that wasn't the problem what could it be ?

Sorry this is such a lengthy post, I just wanted to make sure to be very detailed.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:52 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Just purchased a 1993 dakota and already having problems...

There is alot of postibliltys it could be. Anything from a bad coil to just simple wire connection. I would check all wires everywhere! Then move to fuses, and check all the wires going into there. The radio uses 2 fuses. One all time power. and 1 power when you turn on your key. Check the fuses for it. If their good it is posible that the radio is dead! It after all is 14 years old. If you need help check out the FAQ in this section. (1st gen. Dakota) There is wiring diagrams and all to help.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:50 PM
alterboy
Rookie

Check distributor, coil, rotor bug, wires Always when first encountering running problems. After that it's process of elimination through wiring. Wiring problems are usually a pain to trace so use that route after you check the first itemsI listed.

[IMG]local://upfiles/77401/701E093AF5AA4342B30269FA9E89EF01.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-07-2007, 01:48 AM
fox
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounded like what my 93 was doin except I was pullin a 4000 pound tractor down the road changed the dist cap & rotor and the coil had no problem after that.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

He tried spraying starter fluid in the carb and it still wouldn't start
Most likely a spark issue, but there are other possibilities.

The problem is going to be very difficult (if not impossible) to track down until/unless it acts up again. If it does, check for spark (first at the plugs, then at the coil if it isn't getting to the plugs).

-If it has spark to the plugs and still won't fire, it could be flooding. Hold the coil wire so that the contact is about 1/4" away from the coil post; this will spike the KV's and will often allow fuel fouled plugs to ignite the over rich mixture.

-If spark is not getting to the plugs but is going into the distributor, then pop the cap and check the rotor for cracks or holes burned through. Make sure the distributor is turning.

If the coil is not generating spark, make sure it has power. If it does, then you have a faulty coil or a signal problem caused by the crank sensor, PCM or wiring and will need a lab scope to diagnose.

Quick Reply: Just purchased a 1993 dakota and already having problems...