1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

92 Dakota won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 03:38 PM
jpandrusky
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Dakota won't start

Hi,

Never meant for my first post to be about trouble, but here goes anyway. Just bought a 1992 Dodge Dakota (Little Red Express, not with the stack exhaust) 3 days ago. Was running fine since I bought, I started it 3 or 4 times this morning (I run around a lot), then it sat for about 3 hours. When I tried to start it again, nothing. I have power, my stereo turns on, lights turn on, etc. I've checked the fuses the best I can and they seem to be good. The only thing I can think of is that the started is dead. Would this be an accurate assumption? I tried to listen for a click with the door open, but can't hear any (don't know if that's because there isn't any or there's too much background noise), the dash lights don't look like they dim at all. Suggestions? Thanks.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:48 PM
kahanabob
Captain
Default RE: 92 Dakota won't start

Take a tire iron or long rod and tap on the starter 2 or 3 times and then see if it turns over....

Old 11-08-2007, 05:40 PM
iraqvet
Professional

I'd also pull the battery ground wire off at the frame and make sure both the cable end and frame are clean.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

Could be Ignition switch, Starter Relay, Nuetral Safety Switch of the starter itself. With a test light or DVOM, probe the terminal that the small wire connects to on the solenoid while someone else holds the key in the start position. If it lights up, the solenoid is bad and you will just replace the whole starter asembly. If it doesn't, then you have to work your way back until you find the open circuit orfaulty component.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:23 PM
92BLACKLS
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say it is the starter, doesnt sound like the gear isnt kicking in at all, could be the cables but in my past I have replaced many of those starters on those cars, got so good i dont disconect the battery, I had to do it on my truck to down the road. but I would check those things out what the guys have suggested because it saves you $70-$130 for a starter DIY.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:08 PM
jpandrusky

Towed it back home, decided to try again and it started. I cleaned the battery posts and connectors, my dad thinks that maybe they were clean enough to provide enough of a current for the lights and stereo, but not for the solenoid. If it happens again, it'll probably mean that it is a lose wire, which is going to really suck and I'll have to do as Sixtysixdeuce suggests. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:16 AM
alterboy
Rookie

Next time it happens wiggle the shifter a little thenhold up tight on the shifter. Sometimes my neutral safety switch dosent activate so thats what i do to get it started.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:45 PM
jpandrusky

It happened again, did exactly as alterboy suggested. That fixed it (or atleast got it working again). Thanks.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:47 PM
willow

Try putting it in neutral and starting it. works for me

Old 11-15-2007, 09:38 AM
CSX173
Amateur

I would be surprised if it is just the neutral safety switch acting up. There is a splice under the fuse box which is under the hood. This becomes corroded. This drops the voltage to the starter. Everything else will work fine, but you get like 7 volts to the relay in the fuse box under the hood. Common problem. Not to hard to fix. Good Luck. I have a '92 4x4 with about 150K miles on it and still driving it daily since I bought it new.

Quick Reply: 92 Dakota won't start