1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

About to lose my mind

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007 | 05:08 PM
DukeSupes
|
Captain
Default About to lose my mind

Ok, Some time ago my truck started making this odd noise like some body/suspension part was squeaking then it would go away after a while now its happening all the time. And it happens at all speeds, but never standing still, thus I cant listen for it by myself, it needs to be in motion.Also, I have noticedwhen Igo over speed bumps recently it makes this terrible rubbery straining noise when the front end pops up over the bump. This may turn intojust a rant post. Butif anyone has any ideasof what I should look for I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Old 11-09-2007 | 09:30 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Default RE: About to lose my mind

I would get some soap and water and hit each side of the truck with it. Then drive it. wait untill the noise stops. Then check everything where you wet it. I have done this to find a losse washer on a bolt. You could have a friend or two jump on the truck for a little bit to make it bounce so you can check all around. For the other noise try to determin whitch side then check you shocks and spings bushings, controrl arm bushings motor mounts trannymount any rubber on your truck.

Old 11-09-2007 | 10:56 PM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

I would get some soap and water and hit each side of the truck with it. Then drive it. wait untill the noise stops.
This will work, but you can be a little more surgical in the way you go about it by hitting each bushing with penetrating oil and greasing each zirk one at a time until the noise stops.

And just to be sure we've covered all the bases, know that dry U-joints will squeak when you are moving. Usually only noticeable at low speeds and bumps shouldn't make a difference, but it should be noted none the less..

Old 11-10-2007 | 03:22 AM
Nicegy525
Veteran

could be ball joints, U-joints, front end bushings, front brake squealers. My money is on ball joints though.

Old 11-13-2007 | 12:07 PM
DukeSupes
|
Captain

Ball joints are supposed to be some what easy to replace right? As in mark the suspension and the ball joint and then count how many times you have to turn it to remove it then turn the new one in that same number of times?

Old 11-13-2007 | 12:22 PM
United1
Professional

My first gen Durango has the exact same symptoms. My problem is sway bar bushings, fairly common on these. Have not got around to replacing them yet, so, I turn the stereo louder.

Old 11-13-2007 | 10:21 PM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

ORIGINAL: DukeSupes

Ball joints are supposed to be some what easy to replace right? As in mark the suspension and the ball joint and then count how many times you have to turn it to remove it then turn the new one in that same number of times?
That'd be tie rods. Ball joints are pressed into the control arms and a tapered shank is bolted through the steering knuckle. If you've never done them, plan on a weekend and make sure your honey-do list is finished so that she'll tolerate your swearing and bandage your busted knuckles.

Old 12-02-2007 | 02:15 AM
DukeSupes
|
Captain

I had my dad ride with me even after freshly greasing everything and he thought it sounded like the sway bar bushings. I hosed them down with WD-40 and sure enough the squeaking/chirping went away. So for 25 bucks I bought all 4. Thanks to all who replied.

Old 12-02-2007 | 02:18 AM
DukeSupes
|
Captain

Also, I thought I would mention that the rubber rubbing noise over the speed bumps was the shock bushings. Shocks are less than a year old, Gabriel Ultras. Any idea if I should replace the bushingsas well? If so what brand is good?

Old 12-02-2007 | 03:07 AM
flyers win the cup
Professional

don't worry about rubber on metal sounds. i four wheel quite a bitand my 89 creaks and cracks quite a bit. it's the metal on metal sounds you have to worry about.

like that picture sixtysixdeuce. where can i get one of those 6 wheel drives. i like to go way back fishing!

Quick Reply: About to lose my mind