1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Water pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 01:54 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Water pump replacement

Steve00Ram360's (who is now Steve05Ram360) how-to on the water pump replacement also applies to those with the Magnum series engines (1992 and newer V-6 and V-8). https://dodgeforum.com/m_224411/tm.htm
As he states in the article, it is highly recommended to replace the bypass hose (its a short hose, and costs about $3.50) while doing the pump, otherwise it's quite a job if that little hose goes bad. Also, as he says, if your truck needs a new thermostat, or you can't remember/don't know when it was last replaced, another great time to replace it.

*From my experiance, you might want to check/replace the timing chain (see also TSB 09-07-97, this has to do with adding a tensioner to the timing chain, to solve some noise issues). My luck had it that my chain/something related to it broke, and only figured it out right after replacing the pump [:@]*

Old 12-19-2008, 10:37 AM
redgar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump - Heater return pipe

In that posting it states:

"Remove the heater core return line on the right side of the pump. If you remove the pipe coming from the pump, you will need a new o-ring when putting it back in."

How do you do this? The return line appears to be pressed in. I've tried using pliers, but am afraid of bending the pipe. Is there a special tool?

I'm replacing the water pump on a 94 Dodge Dakota. The new one is on, now I just need need to swap the metal heater return line from the old to the new.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:31 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

No special tool that I know of. I have replaced my water pump twice in my 95 dakota. First time the tube was baked in pretty good. Took a while of wiggling and pulling to break it free. I just kept twisting it until it broke loose. However, I was really afraid of bending it. Second time it came out easily, had only been in for 3 years this time.

You can get a replacement tube from Autozone. Cost me a total of $29 for a new bypass tube, thermostat, and heater tube. I think the heater tube was around $10 or so. It isn't a bad idea to replace it right now anyways because you could bend the old one slightly and not get a good seal when you put it back in.

When I put my new heater tube in I dabbed a little vegetable oil on the o-ring to keep it from binding up when I installed it.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:02 PM
dodgerules86
Champion

You might try turning the tube left/right (instead of just trying to pull it straight out).
Mine was hard to get out, as I remember. I don't remember what the tibe material was, but you might try using some heat on the old water pump to help the tube break free.

But, no special tool needed. Just pull it off by "hand" and put it back in by hand.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:47 AM
fireman2828
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That brings back memories. I remember putting that tube back in and thinking I know thats gonna leak, but it didn't. Just gotta use some muscle and grunting to get it outa their.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:51 AM
dodgerules86
Champion

Originally Posted by fireman2828
I remember putting that tube back in and thinking I know thats gonna leak, but it didn't.
I thought the same thing when doing it.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:19 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I HATE THAT TUBE! I got new o-rings and lots of rtv and I hammerd that stupied thing down, And JB weld. It always leaked on me. I finally gave in and bought a tube from dealer. $10 or $15. I can't belive I waited that long for such a stupied part. Absolutly no leaks now!

Old 12-21-2008, 08:42 PM
pashadowops
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wound up replacing my tube from Advance Auto Parts. The biggest pain was having to drive back to the store to get the tube that I thought should've come with the new pump. There are many little quirks with these Dakota's. It's a good thing I have other cars to fall back on when the truck breaks down. It's like owning an old Harley Davision, it spends more time in the garage then on the road. At least mine does...LOL

Old 12-21-2008, 09:48 PM
dodgerules86
Champion

Well, mine could if I had the time and money to do everything I wanted to to her.
Usually mines in the shop for my "might as well replace it before it goes bad" which turns into me kicking myself in the *** for fixing something that isn't totally broke.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Bad96_3.9
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had to o ring mine and rtv it and it has not leaked yet, still got my fingers crossed!

Quick Reply: Water pump replacement