1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Dak newb here!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 11:07 AM
s1rGr1nG0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dak newb here!

Howdy gang! I'm about to buy a 1987 Dak from my uncle. It's a V6 4x4 regular cab. It's been sitting for a while but he said that it ran fine the last time he started it. It needs a starter, wiper motor, and he says that it has a leak, (not sure what's leaking but will find out and post up). It also needs some minor interior cosmetic work. I was looking at it yesterday and the body is in good shape. It could use some primer and paint and I will take care of that after getting it up and running.
Anything specific I should look at after it sitting so long? Think it's been a year or so. Also, I'm only paying a couple hundred bucks for it so all the extra money I would pay for another used vehicle to beat around in I can put into the Dak to get 'er going.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:03 PM
88dakv6
Rookie
Default RE: Dak newb here!

just do a BIG tune up, change all the fluids, engine, tranny,diff, bleed the brakes, repack bearings, change the gas filter after you run a full tank trough, buy a can or two of engine degreaser and clean the hell out of the engine so you can find leaks and stuff... i love first gen daks because of the simplicity of everything. you will love it too.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:53 AM
codydakota
Captain
Default RE: Dak newb here!

I agree, you'll love how simple they really are, definitely do that big tune up and change the fluids over anything, and get some new gas in there followed by a new fuel filter, a lot can happen in a year!

Quick Reply: Dak newb here!