1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1996 Dodge Dakota 5.2l A/T 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 06:54 AM
viziers
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Dodge Dakota 5.2l A/T 2wd

Ok i just bought the Dodge listed above and was told by the owner that the a/t need a trans pump for it because he says that when you drive about 10 miles and the a/t warms up it then has no pull and go into 2nd? Now my initial thought were to change the filter check fluid inspect the trans lines and clean them out and replace the radiator(sp)... Any other thoughts on this???

jeff

Old 07-31-2008, 10:23 AM
Bad96_3.9
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1996 Dodge Dakota 5.2l A/T 2wd

it would not hurt, you could take it to a shop and get them to do a pressure test on it too. they make a can of flush that you disconnect the lines and hook it to one end and it flushes it all out including the radiator. that and a tranny filter is alot cheaper than getting a front pump put in!!!

Old 08-02-2008, 06:39 PM
viziers
Amateur

hello

Old 08-03-2008, 07:49 AM
viziers
Amateur

Hello all,

Well i have flushed what was probably only 3 to 4 qts out of the tranny by disconnecting the output oil line from the tranny pump and ran the truck to pump out all the oil and noticed that the oil was a milky color and also looking and the debri in the pan there was microscopic particles as well as a couple pebble sized pieces. Well after changing the fluid/filter adjusting the bands cleaned out all the lines the truck now drived pretty well. BUT however i noticed that there is a leak. There is fluid comming out of the throttle lever/gear shift lever area on the left side right by the reverse sensor.

Any idea if that is a rubber O-ring or bushing i can replace myself? If so what are the correct names and part #'s for the pieces i need and can i replace them with the tranny in the truck?

vizi

Quick Reply: 1996 Dodge Dakota 5.2l A/T 2wd