1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1993 Dodge Dakota Please Help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 11:12 PM
Senate427
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1993 Dodge Dakota Please Help?

I own a 1993 Dodge Dakota 3.9L V6 engine with about 150,000 miles on it. I have a serious problem with my truck and I need help and ideas. About a week ago my trucks engine light came on and my truck started idling erratically and then would stall. So what I did was replace the brake booster and master cylinder which seem to fix the problem of the truck stalling. But that did not fix the whole problem because my truck still has a engine light on and it is idling around 500rpms. When I put the truck into reverse or drive it starts shaking and when I try accelerating my truck doesn't gain speed almost like it has no power. So then I changed my spark plugs and cables to see if that would fix the problem. No luck! Then I pulled my spark plugs back out to check if I gap them right and noticed that there was a lot of black carbon build on them.

So then I took my whole exhaust system off since everything needed to be changed, but that did not help the truck run better. Today I bought some seafoam and mopar to clean the carbon out of my combustion chamber. No luck! I ran a compression test on each cylinder and they all had a reading of 150psi. Then I did a fault code test and got the following codes-

fault code 24- throttle position sensor (TBS) signal voltage out of range (too high or too low)

fault code 27- fuel injector control circuit problem

I pulled my fuel pump out of my gas tank which it appears to look brand new and I can hear it running loud and clear, so I do not think my fuel pump is bad.

Here is a list of new parts that I recently bought for my truck. I bought a new EGR valve, throttle body sensor, IAC sensor, brake booster, master cylinder, new spark plugs, spark plug cables, used vacuum lines, new distributor rotor, and fuel filter.

Recap of problem- engine shakes when in park then shakes more when driving. The rpms are at 500 and it seems as if my truck will not accelerate fast meaning it takes longer to gain speed.

Please I really need help and ideas on what to do. I will not give into going to a mechanic just yet.

Thanks

Old 08-14-2008, 11:40 PM
oglejust
Rookie

u changed the rotor... how'd the cap look? any corrosion?

Old 08-15-2008, 12:24 AM
Senate427
Veteran

Yes, I had the cap inspected at advanceauto and they said, it's good.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It sounds like one of your injectors is not working or a bad wiring problem. You should disconnect the battery and reconect after a few mins. This will reset the comp. now start the engine get it up to temp, and see if those codes come on again. If so find which injector is failing and replace the tps.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:42 PM
Senate427
Veteran

I gave up and took my truck to a mechanic and he found the problem. It was a broken coolant temp sensor that caused my truck to go crazy.

unbelievable the only part I didn't check

Thanks for the help guys

Old 08-21-2008, 04:28 PM
FFEMTC

That won't create the other codes. Clear them and check again.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Senate427
Veteran

guess what you are right because I had to take my truck back to the mechanics yesterday and now the mechanics are saying it could be a electrical problem or something to do with the fuel injectors cables.

The engine shakes when accelerating?

Old 08-23-2008, 07:27 PM
fox
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you defintely got a injector/wiring harness problem. Few things you can do is check the resistance and continuity. First find the cylinder misfiring. heres the specs for the injector resistance
Min.
Resistance
(Ohms) 13.3
Max.
Resistance
(Ohms) 15.7

And here is another person who had a code 27

Vehicle Description: 1995 Dodge B2500 Van 3.9L, GAS, Vin X, Eng Cfg V6

Mileage: 134333

Customer Concern: MIL on and code 27 for injector #4. Misfires.

Tests/Procedures: 1. Swap #4 injector connector with #2. If a different code is set, the injector is the problem.

2. If the same code sets, swap the wire and terminals at pin 13 and 14. If the same code sets, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is bad.

3. If a different code is set, the wire or connector is bad.

Potential Causes: Injector
Wiring
PCM

** Confirmed Fix **
Replaced injector and repaired harness

Old 05-09-2010, 09:18 PM
BIGJESSE
Default jesse 1993 dodge dakota 191000 miles

i have a similar problem. It goes in and out some times it shakes bad like it's missing. Sometimes it stalls. I changed plugs, wires, fuel filter, and I changed a fuel pump last year. But it's not fixing the problem. I am getting a fault code 12, but that's it. I think it's a fuel injector problem, but I am not sure. I lost a lot of power when the problem started. I don't want to go to a mechanic, yet. It also misses really hard during acceleration, and when I stop at lights it alson will stall. I was wondering if anyone could thow some ideas at me. I do not know how to check my fuel injectors to see if they are working. Someone else said something about a psi in the cylinder, but I don't think that is the same as checking a fuel injector. Somebody told me that since it goes in and out that it could be a short, maybe in the injector harness, but for some reason I think one of the injectors is carboned up. I also have carbon on my plugs like the other guy. I was wondering if anyone had an idea about my problem. I didn't want to get a diagnostic yet. I have been referring to my haynes repair manuel for reference. The code 12 is all I have to go on and it says memory stand by power loss. What does that mean? I

Old 05-09-2010, 09:34 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to DodgeForum!

Got any info on your truck besides its a 93 and has 191000 miles on it? Engine, transmission, drivetrain?

Could be lots of stuff, but I really need to know what engine you're working with.

And next time, don't hesitate to start a new post rather than digging one from 2 years ago.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 05-09-2010 at 10:09 PM.

Quick Reply: 1993 Dodge Dakota Please Help?