1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

engine swap from 95 dakota to a 93 3.9 v6 engines on both HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 09:45 PM
mildewsenemy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine swap from 95 dakota to a 93 3.9 v6 engines on both HELP!!

I recentley swapped the engine from my 95 dakota and put it in my 93 dakota.. now im having some problems..

problem one

The wiring harness does not connect to the vehicle speed sensor that is at the tail of the transmission and this is the plug in for OD! (over drive) I need to splice the wires but the 93 only has two wires whilst the harness from the engine i put in which is a 95 has 3 wires... which ones do i use?? and those three wires i have do not have any colors on them bc the plastic coating wrotted away and I wrapped them with electric tape. I would just swap the sensors completley but they are different... on the 93 there is a cable that runs through the center of the sensor which attaches to the speedometer in the dash.. also cant swap trannies because the tranny for the 95 is blown.

problem two

The AC will not work... when I did the engine swap I did not remove the AC or open the system I just disconnected the compressor from the engine and moved it out of the way intact.... I did not mess with the wiring harness that the low pressure switch is connected to either.... I put the new engine in and plugged the compressor back in and now it will not work... when i jump the compressor with 12v it cools just fine.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:56 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You can swap out the round piece that the speed sensor atatches to. Just use the gear that is in good tranny. That will allow you to use your fully electronic speed sensor. If the compressor is working when you jump it then that meens something in the wiring like a burnt fuse or a short in the wire somewhere. There are Diagrams in the FAQ and fuse diagrams.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:55 PM
mildewsenemy

I dont think I can swap the sensors because if I do I will no longer have a speedometer... that cable that runs through the center of the sensor on the 93 dakota is not present on the 95 and the sensor is not designed with a hole through the center of it for the cable ..

something I did try was wiring twelve volts straight to the sensor but this did not work... I thought OD was 12 volts and either on or off...?? Is this the wrong sensor to send the 12 v to?

Old 10-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

All you need to do is swap the round pice that the sensor atatches to (I put a RED arrow on it). Keep the one that will work with that trucks harness. Here is a pic. Take out the old one along with the sensor and put in the other one and the other sensor. Everything will work after that.

Attached Thumbnails engine swap from 95 dakota to a 93   3.9 v6 engines on both  HELP!!-88476g17l.jpg  
Old 10-24-2008, 11:40 AM
93dak4x4
Professional

I am just throwing this out for thought. Could the ECM not be entirely compatible and that uis why the air cond isnt working? Did you change ecm?

Old 10-31-2008, 07:46 AM
mildewsenemy

The ECM? you mean computer right?? The computers are interchangable... when I had the first engine in the truck you could swap the computers and nothing changed...

Im going to try what you said on that sensor but I think its wrong bc the problem is in the electrical connector.... changing the inner piece wont help!!? Im going to go work on it today...

I could not find electrical diagrams on this forum could you send me one of where the OD switch is so if all else fails ill just jump it.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:04 AM
mildewsenemy

what I meant to say is yes swapping the sensors will work.. but I will no longer be able to connect that cable that runs up to the speedometer in my dash!! hence no speedometer.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:03 PM
mildewsenemy

ok my wiring harness has three wires the sensor has 2... I wired it up all six ways it could go and none of them worked...

I just want to hot wire the OD is this possible.. and if so where do i do it..

I was looking in chiltons guide and it did not even show the sensors on the transmission... help!

Quick Reply: engine swap from 95 dakota to a 93 3.9 v6 engines on both HELP!!