1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Escapades of the Cursed Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:10 AM
Littlejon126
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Escapades of the Cursed Dakota

Well, I've had the truck for about 2 months now, and in the last month I've changed air filter, removed the intake ducting, full service lube with high mileage oil and conditioned the serpentine belt. Yesterday an old buddy and I swapped all the plugs and wires (Champion plugs with the exact same part number as listed on VECI label) replaced distributor cap and rotor, and replaced the PCV valve (the old one had a Chrysler emblem on it!) and repaired the hose that connects it to the intake manifold.

Noted that I have a Holley performance throttle body. Dunno if its stock or not. If anyone can hit me back on that to let me know....

Now that the truck has sufficiently been tuned up, its running much better. Alittle rough right after start up but once it has been idling for a minute or so it settles down. Not concerned about it- likely cause is the PCV, which should probably be replaced again based on the amount of crap that the old one had in it. Idle has risen from 550RPM to near 700, much healthier idle speed.

Mechanically speaking, minus a minor coolant leak from radiator and tranny leak, neither of which are immediate concerns.

Left to perform on vehicle to do in terms of maintenance is replace the thermostat, get my heater going again, and get new tires all around +spare, as it needs it. I also need to have a stereo installed on the vehicle as there is not currently one even in the vehicle. The speakers will also get upgraded as they're getting to be about 15 years old....and in unknown condition. Decent on/off road tires will be installed.

Does anyone know if there's a way to get a posi or limited slip differential installed on these trucks? I want one, as the 1-wheel peel is a bit aggrivating, though very impressive......

Old 11-06-2008, 12:13 AM
Littlejon126

Oh, I forgot....Next up is installation of a glass pack, hidden up under the truck. I'm going to cut the exhaust off about 3 inches past anything of importance (Cat/O2 sensor/hangers) and clamp on the glasspack. Should I add a turn down tip? I might just to keep from rusting out the underside of my bed.

Thoughts?

Old 11-06-2008, 12:50 PM
OneBadKota
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the Holley's were stock.

For the rear axle stuff, take it to a gear shop and they should be able to install an LSD for probably under 400. Unless you wanted tochange gears as well.

Glass pack I would just replace to where the normal muffler is, giving it distance from the converter. You can do a turndown tip off the glasspack. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it. I had dumps at the axle on my Dakota and after awhile the fumes became too much for me.

I would also weld it on and not clamp it on.

The transmission leak is probably is simple as just tightening the bolts on the pan.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:44 PM
dodgey

I would turn the exhaust down, in a vehicle in the past i had no exhaust after the cat and it would come right in the side windows or right in through the back slider...... it was way overpowering.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Littlejon126

The smell of exhaust gas doesn't bother me too much, though since the tune-up the exhaust can actually be smelled now... Before, it wasn't noticeable.

Tranny is starting to act kinda strange, but since its a $500 truck I'm not too concerned about it until it refuses to drive forward. When that happens I'll take care of it, as if I were to take it in now they'd likely want to rebuild or replace it. Probably the wrong mentality but I can't afford that repair right now.

I have got to get a stereo installed in there. My drive to and from work is entirely too boring now. I'm convinced that I couldn't be a cowboy if the horse didn't have a radio. I don't need anything fancy, just something that makes sound.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:30 PM
Bad96_3.9
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the heater core is not leaking try back flushing it. dodgerules96 did a write up on it i think, try searching for it. lsd is deff. worth it. i had a glasspack for a little while on my v6. it sounded ok with the cat, and when i gutted the cat it sounded like "a moose with a ***** up its ***" according to my dad. so i changed it, lol.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:52 AM
fox
Veteran

Originally Posted by Bad96_3.9
when i gutted the cat it sounded like "a moose with a ***** up its ***" according to my dad. so i changed it, lol.
That IS Freakin Hilarous!!! XD LMAO

Old 11-07-2008, 08:44 AM
JetNoise
Professional

The Holley is stock.

I'm with OneBadKota on the welding of your glasspack. Better seal, and it's more reliable.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Littlejon126

I can't justify the expense of having someone else do the work though, and though I could do the welding job myself I've not got the gear to do it. That and its been since highschool since I've welded anything....

I could just sleeve it and put the clamp around that. It'd be reasonably easy to do. My cat is clogged up pretty bad... getting that strong "cat gone bad" smell. Gonna try to find a cheap high flow to put on. I might just drop the entire assembly from the exhaust manifold and take care of all of it at once instead of taking it elsewhere to do it, so that I'll save on labor costs.

The only thing I'll take the car to the shop for is tranny and brake work, as I want someone else to be liable if my brakes crap and I rear-end someone. Working in the insurance industry has taught me that.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Bad96_3.9
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you use the clamps then i would put some of the permatex for exhaust pipes. it wont be as good as a welded fit but will not leak as bad.

Quick Reply: Escapades of the Cursed Dakota