1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Bumper brackets

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 07:33 PM
fox
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bumper brackets

Ok got my body lift and was wondering what they meant by I have to modify my bumper brackets? Do I have to drill new holes? If somebody could show me an example? probley you crazy cause your the only one thats done this so far. lol

Old 12-06-2008, 08:03 PM
fox
Veteran

heres some pics of my brackets and frame. I don't think they are stock...?
Name:  IMG_3193.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  106.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3194.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  63.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3195.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  96.7 KB

Old 12-06-2008, 08:50 PM
codydakota
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's suppose to be a way to drill new holes, but I'm not sure how or where. I know you can do it without buying whole new brackets, basically after the lift, line up the bumper where you want it to go and drill in the new holes wherever they end up needing to go. I know I'm not much help here, I guess I could say I'm in the same boat as you.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

LOL! Okay I will try my best to explain what I did. Yes you are going to have to drill some new holes. For the front I just keep on the sides to help me hold it. I then postioned the bumper where I wanted. Then had someone hold it while I mark on the bumper braket where I want to drill. Then unbolted it and drilled my new holes. I used new bolts but Im sure stocks will work. I got new ones because I was installing my tow hook bracket on the same location. For the back was easy beacuse I belive I keeped the 2 back bolts on and just tilted the bumper the drilled a new hole on the bracket, so my back bumper has a slight tilt on it but its unnoticable. Im sure you can do the rear without tilting but at the time it was the easyest. Its much easyer to drill into the bumper bracket then the frame. Oh yea on the front I used my grinder to remove the nut holder bracket.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Hey Fox do you what that plate that is welded on the outside of the frame is for? When I bought my truck it had some plate welded up like that too. But nothing was attached. I always thought a tow hitch or snow plow but nothing else was there for the plow or to indicate there anything added. And it was slopy welds so it wasnt factory!

Old 12-07-2008, 12:47 AM
fox
Veteran

Actually ya I do.

When I bought my dak it was from an old couple they had been all over califorina in there RV.

Well they also liked to take alot trails in the moutains so they bought this dak and welded a hitch on the front end so it could hook it up and tow it behind the RV. That hitch was weld on there.
It was always a pain too when I first got my truck it would bottom out on the hitch.

So maybe its something dodge puts in for a plow or front end hitch to be welded?

Old 12-09-2008, 07:53 PM
fox
Veteran
Default am i missing something????!!!!

I can't get the blasted shift link out the grommets is there like C-clip on there??

Old 12-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

No it just pops off. That rubber is tuff. If you havnt already try penitrating oil. Here is a pic of the set up if that helps any!
Oh yea if you can take some pic of the new hole locations you make when you do the bumpers. So we can post up in the FAQ. If possible like the other ones where its off the truck. And the rear brakets off of the truck, before and after if you can to.

Attached Thumbnails Bumper brackets-42407866.jpg  

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 12-09-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:17 PM
fox
Veteran
Angry

Thats what I figured but damn its in there good >=S

Already way ahead of ya im takin some pics for a write up

thx for the help

Quick Reply: Bumper brackets