1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Blinkers too fast with trailer

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 10:40 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Blinkers too fast with trailer

I towed back my pop up camper this weekend from Detroit to Chicago. It was a bit of a drive but the truck handled well. I could definately tell I was towing a load especially going uphill, but it wasn't too bad. The air shocks in the back definately helped I am sure. Anyways, after hooking up the trailer and finding out the last owner didn't wire the 4 pin connector properly, I rigged the new 4 pin quickly in the cold and got everything flashing and going on properly. One thing that I am not sure how to fix is the blinkers. They blink super fast when the trailer is plugged into the 4 flat. What would you recommend to fix this? For now the 4 pin connector just splices into the rear end wiring of the truck, left from the previous owner. Thanks.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:44 AM
OldMoparMan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heavy Duty Flasher from any auto parts store. Some OEM ones doen't handle enough load to work with a trailer added to the package.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:54 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker

A heavy duty flasher? Sounds simple enough. How will this affect my blinkers when the trailer is not plugged in? They won't be too slow?

Old 12-15-2008, 11:13 AM
OldMoparMan
Veteran

No. They'll be fine. It's designed to handle a heavier load. Less than $8, if that.

I had to put one in my truck too. My trailer has way too may t/s bulbs and it would flash really fast. HD flasher unit (NAPA) fixed it.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:28 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The same thing happened to me the first time I pulled a trailer. The crappy wiring job the guy did who had the truck before me barely worked and when it did the blinkers went really fast like you said. When I got home, I took all the wiring harnesses out and soldered them myself and the next time I pulled a trailer it was fine. My guess was that there was barely a connection that wouldnt handle the extra current and when I soldered them it made a better connection. So you could try that as a free attempt if you have a soldering iron.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:15 AM
fishlessman
Professional

something to add to this is that you can buy a trailer wire harness that simply plugs into the existing connectors on the truck, whats nice is they quickly unplug and you keep them under your seat for next time, no fusiing with the wires on the truck end next time you use them

Old 12-16-2008, 10:20 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker

I wish the previous owner had known about that fishless. I guess I could always splice the wires back and use the harness. how much would that set me back?

Old 12-16-2008, 01:51 PM
fishlessman
Professional

i think i paid 75 dollars a couple years ago, no cutting soldering taping wires to corrode later on. it just snaps between two waterproof plugs on the trucks origional harness. bought it at a place that sells caps trailers, bumpers etc.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:59 PM
fishlessman
Professional

this one looks like the one i have, 35 dollars online
http://hitches4less.com/dodge-dakota...ring-kits.html

Last edited by fishlessman; 12-17-2008 at 10:37 AM. Reason: forgot link
Old 12-16-2008, 07:15 PM
Bad96_3.9
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i payed 30 dollars at advance auto a while back for mine like that, it works alot better, and i have a heavy duty flasher in mine too.

Quick Reply: Blinkers too fast with trailer