1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Absolutely no heat now...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008 | 10:46 AM
fireman2828
Professional

If you ever buy an alternater, make sure you have them check it before you leave with it. And whats up with all the people they hire that no absolutly nothing about autoparts. "Uh-duh whats a rotor button" and "what do you use a distributor wrench for" I feel like I'm going to menards and asking where they keep underlayment, or ball *****.

Old 12-22-2008 | 11:44 AM
dbilik
|
Record Breaker

I know. I went to Napa and bought a new thermostat and installed it last night. The last one I had from Autozone had a fail-safe thing where it would keep your engine from overheating when the thermostat failed. I guess it failed right away and kept sticking open. It has been so cold here (-2 last night) that it isn't a good comparison for heat with the new thermostat, but it is better. Air is still not as hot when I am idling as it is when I am pressing down on the gas pedal, but at least it is not ice cold anymore when I am idling.

My guess is the thermostat was definately bad, and I also think my heater core may not be as effecient as it should be, but I can live with it now and work on it when it warms up if I need to.

Old 12-23-2008 | 10:32 AM
fireman2828
Professional

Keep an eye on the water/coolant level to. As the block feels up you may need to add more. If it is low, it will not blow as hot until you speed up.

Quick Reply: Absolutely no heat now...