1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

my poor ole besty needs sum help maybe fuel pump or filter maybe both take a look...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:48 AM
DukeSupes
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rhodes,

DO NOT DROP THAT TANK! I recently replaced the fuel pump in my '93 and it was SOOOO much easier to take the bed off! Only 6, maybe 8 bolts hold it on the frame. And you can easily use some 2X4s to prop it up while you work. This is definitely a two man job and I did this with my dad so you should be in good shape if your dad is helping you. The bolts are fairly easy to find just look along the frame for bolt heads that are obviously bolted UP. Also, you will want to keep in mind that you will need to take the fuel filler tube loose from the bed before you start. Here are some pics of when I did mine.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...fuel-pump.html

Last edited by DukeSupes; 01-13-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:02 AM
xxxxrhodesxxxx
Rookie

so if we drop the bed... would we still have to take of the tank straps..??? or just work from the top..? and thanks for the pics man dat really help my dad out hes ready for that damn tank now lolz..thank god for my pops.!!! hes an ******* all tha time but hes my ****a tho 4real al wayz savin my ***...il help contribute sum by posting so pics of the tank when its off.. and in side the tank too...and ill let yall know wat up saturday afternoon...!!!! later

Old 01-14-2009, 01:03 AM
xxxxrhodesxxxx
Rookie

oo just an fyi were gonna reaplace.the pump and filter if theres any filter down there we shall see...!!!

Old 01-14-2009, 09:16 AM
DukeSupes
Captain

No dont worry about the tank straps. Just leave those where they are. Just lift that bed up at an angle so that you dont have to worry about the brake light wires just like in the photo.

Another thing that the post that I sent you talks about are the small plastic clips that hold the gas lines on the pump. They will break very easily because of age. That post gives you the part numer and where you can get replacements should you break any.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:11 AM
xxxxrhodesxxxx
Rookie

yeah we break em lol prolly replace everything down there the truck came from up north
so its got suface rust on the bottom not a whole lot but its there those "bolts" gunna be a ****....!!!!

Old 01-14-2009, 01:38 PM
DukeSupes
Captain

Yeah, definitely take the time to spray down those bed bolts with a generous amount of WD-40.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Dodge man Dan

take the bed off way easier. its 6 bolts and 2 guys verses lyin on ur back 4 hours!

Quick Reply: my poor ole besty needs sum help maybe fuel pump or filter maybe both take a look...