1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1991 Dakota stalling

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 04:40 PM
scott#9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked all the lines, they are fine. Starts and runs fine, its over fueling, I can smell raw fuel ?

Old 02-21-2009, 06:04 PM
kahanabob
Captain

Originally Posted by scott#9
ITS ALIVE.

I changed the pick up in the distributer, and it runs, and does not stall out on me.

However, now that I have it running, it idles great, but when I put my foot into it, it bogs on me ? Im thinking either a vacume leak, or possible distributer cap. Its a new cap.

However, when it sits on the base of the distributer, and the clamps are on, I can rock it back and forth with a little bit of pressure. Now the base never moves at all. Is this normal for a new cap ?

New cap from where? Local Auto Zone type store (gray cap) or dealer (black cap)?
I did the Auto Zone one once and had problems with it. Should sit firm on the distributer.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:03 AM
bigkat91
Professional

Originally Posted by scott#9
I checked all the lines, they are fine. Starts and runs fine, its over fueling, I can smell raw fuel ?

Fuel lines ok?? Also is the walls of your Throttle body a brownish color? I just removed my TB and cleaned everything, took out both injectors and sprayed gumout carb and choke cleaner in it. I can see clean metal now and my truck runs alot better. Granted that I replace the MAP sensor new plugs and wires, new vacuum lines, new gaskets, and an oil change with semi-synthetic oil. I dont know what would cause excess fuel unless some sensor is signaling a lean mixture.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:08 AM
bigkat91
Professional

Try returning the new cap for a replacement and see if it does the same thing. Someone in QC could have been taking a nap...just an idea...

Old 04-01-2009, 06:11 AM
mtthws

Thanks for the wiring harness tip. I have a 1995 Dakota with a 318 and it would die. No warning,I might drive 50 feet or 50 miles and it would quit. It might restart in 1 minute or 90 minutes. After reading the start of this thread I shook my harness at specific locations until I found where it would restart. Then I found where to make it quit(same place). Several large connectors near radio ant. I cleaned the connectors and no more dieing. I also had fuel to the injectors and no spark from the coil when this would happen. Thanks for the help! mtthws

Old 04-01-2009, 03:08 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

everybody check this out before you start freaking out and changing parts that dont need changed. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ont-start.html

*EDIT*

I was just working on another dakota trying to figure out why his was running rough, stalling, and all the usual splice symptoms, and all it turned out to be was the clip closest to the front of the computer had a bunch of corroded wires. i took those out, cleaned them, and now the truck runs great. try doing that, it might solve your hesitation issue

Last edited by RockGuardedDak; 04-02-2009 at 12:19 PM.

Quick Reply: 1991 Dakota stalling