1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1991 Dakota stalling

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 12:18 PM
scott#9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Dakota stalling

It will stall, and then crank over but wont start. I check and I get no power to my coil. I wait a while and then I get power again and it will run for a bit then die ( lost power to coil again ). At one point it ran for 1.5 hours, did not die. worked great. next day after 5 minutes it died.

I have changed the coil, also while at it the cap , rotor wires as well. Also the egr was changed.

Fuel pump works fine.

I have checked the wiring harness, end to end no corrosion at all. ( had it all opened up )

Also, I sent it to a shop, they put it on the scope and it ran good, but when it died it shows a fault for the auto shut down relay. check it, it was fine, replaced it, still does the same thing. all the wires going to and from the relay are good.

Not sure what this could be.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:28 PM
kahanabob
Captain

Which engine do you have?

Old 02-17-2009, 01:51 PM
scott#9

Sorry, Its a 3.9 litre.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:06 PM
crazy
Rookie
Default wiring

i know ya said ya checked the wiring but did ya check the group under the washer tank,,when i first got my dak it stalled and i couldn't figure it out,,call a wrecker and the driver shook the harness under the washer tank and it started right up,,i took it home and unwraped it... it didn't look like it was corroded but still did a good cleaning and taped it up really good and have never had a problem in over a year,,i guess people spill washer fluid when the fill the bottle and dodge put a conection under the bottle that doesn't like washer fluid,,lol,,lol,,the tow truck driver said he used to work at a garage and they spent a lot of time trying to figure it out before they found the problem was just because people spill the fluid alot when they fill there tank and it will seep into the wires and break contact,,,just food for thought,
crazy

Old 02-17-2009, 02:25 PM
scott#9

I did tear it apart, its still apart. No signs of any corrosion at all. ?

I forgot to mention, that this all happened after I washed down my engine.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:23 PM
kahanabob
Captain

You changed the distributor cap after washing the engine, right? Might try changing the pick up plate in the distributor.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:23 PM
scott#9

I found that the wires going through the firewall to inside the cab were corroded very bad some even broke on me. Cleaned them all up, still does it.

However, Im getting code 11. I had the truck running for over an hour today, would hesitate a little but then clear out and keep running.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:15 PM
scott#9

I will try to change the pick up plate. The code kinda leads to that. I will keep you posted.
On a further note, the truck will start and run fine for about 5 minutes, then it runs rough and dies. I can restart it, but it is very rough...
If I wait for the engine to be cold, it starts and runs fine again for 5 minutes.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:18 AM
scott#9

ITS ALIVE.

I changed the pick up in the distributer, and it runs, and does not stall out on me.

However, now that I have it running, it idles great, but when I put my foot into it, it bogs on me ? Im thinking either a vacume leak, or possible distributer cap. Its a new cap.

However, when it sits on the base of the distributer, and the clamps are on, I can rock it back and forth with a little bit of pressure. Now the base never moves at all. Is this normal for a new cap ?

Old 02-21-2009, 12:19 PM
bigkat91
Professional

Sweet on getting it running check the vacuum lines that run to the MAP sensor. Ive never had a new cap wiggle.

Quick Reply: 1991 Dakota stalling