1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Custom Bumper Design

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by grswat
Slightly on and off topic but I would be greatly interested in some new chrome factory bumpers particularly the rear. Anyone know of somewhere to get one or both without signing a mortgage?
For the best price check www.ebay.com

Originally Posted by dakota33
another off topic.. this goes out to blue.
Im like 90% sure im going to go with 35" tires.. I got 4" lift total.. seeing you got 6".. is that it?.. Im wondering how much cuttin did you have to do to the fenders to clear?.. and if so any pics?.. I did cut some off the back of the front fender.. as that is the closest place.. but cant really go back any further due to the body mount right there., any other ideas if they dont clear as well as I hope.
For blue12 his post on his custom 6in lift and all the details, here is his post. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...y-tires-d.html
The link is also located in the FAQ2.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:39 PM
dakota33
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
For the best price check www.ebay.com

For blue12 his post on his custom 6in lift and all the details, here is his post. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...y-tires-d.html
The link is also located in the FAQ2.
ya, I was taking a look at that.. still not clear.. how would you move the body mount back? what kind of thing would you have to make up?.. like what kind of modifications to make it work.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:09 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

He just moved the body up not back.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:12 PM
dakota33
Professional

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
He just moved the body up not back.
Not what I mean lol.. I know he lifted the body, but if you read the post well.. He cut the back of the front fender.. because with the bigger tires.. it would of hit there.. If I move up to 35" .. its going to be pretty close.. so I wanna cut the back of the front fender more.. to clear it better.. but problem is, the body mount is very close.. limiting the space to cut far back, so what he did was move that body mount back.. and im wondering how he did that.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by dakota33
Not what I mean lol.. I know he lifted the body, but if you read the post well.. He cut the back of the front fender.. because with the bigger tires.. it would of hit there.. If I move up to 35" .. its going to be pretty close.. so I wanna cut the back of the front fender more.. to clear it better.. but problem is, the body mount is very close.. limiting the space to cut far back, so what he did was move that body mount back.. and im wondering how he did that.
Okay I see what you mean. Check the 2nd page 3rd pic. That is the front mount. Very simple to do. Just drill new hole in the body add in some big grade 8 washers on both sides. Weld on a new tab to the frame for the new mount location. Since these questions are related to his truck you could always post these questions on his post.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 12-06-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:43 AM
MUDB0GGER
Default heres my rear custombumper front winch bumper next

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
So I got the idea from a link in the FAQs section to design a new bumper for my truck. This is what I have so far that I drew up in Solidworks...
lgfllflgfg

It's not a completed design, I still need to come up with mounts and I also want to incorporate a built in trailer hitch. The structural parts of the bumper are going to be made of 1/4 inch plate steel except for the spare tire mount which will be 1 inch diameter, 1/4 inch walled tube steel. The cosmetic parts (basically the bottom part that is angled in) is going to be 3/16 inch plate steel.

I also want to design a similar front bumper that will incorporate a skid plate, brush guard and winch.

I'm going to start this weekend by building a mock up of the rear bumper out of plywood for test fitting purposes (and to design the mounts and take measurments for the trailer hitch).

What do ya'll think?
my rear bumper

Old 06-15-2010, 05:58 PM
LO 619
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK So I'm going to start coming up with some designs for bumpers & a light bar. I already have a pretty good idea of the light bar design i'm going for, I don't want it in the bed, just on the rails so that I can still fit a toolbox with no issues.. I'm stealing this design Name:  0713tr_03_z2006_ford_f250_harley_da.jpg
Views: 1840
Size:  72.3 KB

I'm also planning to have a spare mount on the rear bumper, I thought about having one in the bed, but it would be a pain esp for getting tools in/out and general usefulness. I don't want a complicated design, or a square look. I want the spare to sit as low on the tailgate as possible, as to not obstruct my vision when driving and since I'm going with a baja/tube style in the front I'd like the rear to match and use the same materials.

If anyone has any ideas, or has seen some good ones feel free to post them up. I don't know when I'll get started hopefully soon, but I want to get them done quickly once i start. I have access to every tool i'll need to the fabrication. plan is to get my body, mods & paint completed done before the end of next year.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:19 AM
Rabid21
Veteran

95_318SLT I love that freaking bumper design lol

Old 07-14-2011, 09:25 AM
95Sport4X4
Default On the topic of bumpers...

I was thinking about the Jeep Commanche pickup, that the 1st gen dakota knocked off... does anyone else think a bumper for one of those
would bolt up to my 95 Dakota?! ...The tube bumper on the white 1st gen with the baja claws is SICK! exactly what I want!!

Old 12-29-2014, 11:12 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I want to resurrect this thread. Have to do something about a rear bumper for my Dakota, since the old one...well let's just say swiss cheese doesn't even cut it.

I got a welder now and I'm getting more confident with it. I think I'm just about up to bumper-fab level. I do like the swing-away spare tire thing, but I think I'd like to just have a spare strapped in the bed. No thank you to having it wound up under the truck.

Quick Reply: Custom Bumper Design