1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

what jack to use

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 02:36 PM
jeremy__K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what jack to use

what kind of jack to use to jack up truck ?

Old 04-09-2009, 02:39 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In what cirumstances? On the side of the road to change a flat or in your garage to work on it?

Also can you give more info about your truck, like if its lifted?

For working on my truck, I have a 3 ton hydraulic floor jack (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6432_200306432) and a half a dozen jack stands that I picked up at northern tools. For changing a spare on the side of the road... oh wait I have no spare tire! But all jokes aside, when I get a spare tire I'll keep a mini 2 ton floor jack (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...5235_200305235) and a 6 inch long 4x4 wood block in my truck cause the factory jack won't lift it.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 04-09-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:39 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i havent found a problem with any kind of jack. it may not be proper, but ive used the jack out of a chevy cav's truck for the spare to lift my truck. i dont know if i would trust getting under the truck using that jack tho. theres also a jack in the back seat compartment of these trucks (or at least mine had one)

Old 04-09-2009, 06:56 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As '95 said above, if using in a garage, I would recommend a good, well-built floor jack. 3-ton or more.
For side of the road, tire-change jack, a 2 ton should do. I've got http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...Lift+Equipment --that I carry in my truck (well, the kit I bought didn't include the creeper) I keep this in a box, along with the other tools I haul with my truck all the time I drive it.

And, as per common sense, if your going to get under the truck, ALWAYS use jack stands. Jack stands aren't expensive, so just get a nice pair for a garage. I got a nice set from Summit, and soon will be buying more.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:08 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgerules86
And, as per common sense, if your going to get under the truck, ALWAYS use jack stands. Jack stands aren't expensive, so just get a nice pair for a garage. I got a nice set from Summit, and soon will be buying more.
+1 on that. Never crawl under a vehicle trusting just your jack. I've seen too many jacks that have a slow leak (mostly older ones that have been used to death in a shop)

On a side note, I have had my truck roll off of jackstands before with no rear wheels on it, but I was being careless and impatient.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:34 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
On a side note, I have had my truck roll off of jackstands before with no rear wheels on it, but I was being careless and impatient.
That sucks!
My truck has been fully jacked since mid-December. No weight on it's wheels for just under 4 months!

Old 04-10-2009, 03:17 AM
Blue 12
Professional

we can actually be kicked out of the track for the wknd for working under a car with just a jack. gotta be on stands. which is just smart anyway. i have to use a big square block of wood on top of the floor jack now, but i need to get something to keep in the truck. it doesnt have the factory jack

Old 04-10-2009, 10:23 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dodgerules86
And, as per common sense, if your going to get under the truck, ALWAYS use jack stands. Jack stands aren't expensive
i cant say ive actually climbed under the truck when it was sitting on a jack, but that also being said, ive never had anything bad happen with jacks, plus im a small enough guy to where if the jack did fall out, the truck still wouldnt hit me or squish me.

and jack stands can be expensive if you dont have money for them. with everything ive had to do and will have to do to my truck to get it running right, i have no extra money. im broke every cheque. plus, a stupid little VSS cost me $175.......

Old 04-10-2009, 02:36 PM
1shotjake
Professional

always make sure you have it on a clear, flat, level surface too. May not be so easy on the side of the road... but what can you do? a few years ago the passenger side tierod on my moms van dropped out in an intersection 2 blocks from out house. we had it towed back, and my dad and I were looking at it on the drive way. It was completely ice/snow covered and eventually the jack slid out and the whole thing came down on the brake rotor. we didn't have enough room to get under it anyway... so nobody was hurt... but it still wasn't pleasant.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:10 PM
88longbed

Originally Posted by 3.9l93dakota
and jack stands can be expensive if you dont have money for them.
6 ton jack stands 20$
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38846

i have something equally chinese from pep boys, but my twelve dollar 6 ton jack is from harbor freight

Quick Reply: what jack to use