1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Dies at stops

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 02:48 PM
ModT
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you figure out what it was yet?

Old 04-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Jayzen

I have tried the OFF - ON Code test and nothing. The codes were cleared By Car-X. so back to Square 1. Any Suggestions?

Old 04-24-2009, 11:57 AM
DukeSupes
Captain

This sounds SIMILAR to what I just went through with my truck. 93 318 and when I let the truck come to a stop the rpms would go ultra low making it seem like the engine was missing then die. I replaced the IAC (Idle air control) valve and that kept it from dying, but didnt cure all of the rough idle/low rpms all the way. Come to find out that my muffler was plugged up. It was fairly new, less than 2 years old. I could hear a small exhaust leak from the muffler pushing exhaust back into the Catalytic converter when this happened.

My best suggestion is to open all the windows and turn off the radio. Drive it around a bit and see if you can replicate the problem and pay special attention to smells/sounds that happen at the same time. They may help you clue in on what else is going on.

Quick Reply: Dies at stops