1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Dies at stops

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Jayzen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dies at stops

I have '95 Dakota 4x4 V8 5.2L.

the idle is around 2-400 in park and drive. When I come to a complete stop the Idle drops out and the truck dies. it dose not "chugg out" it just dies. I took it in and they said it had codes on the TPS Sensor and the Idle Air Control Valve. The quoted me 335.00$ i went to the nearest Parts store and got them for 100.00$ and installed them in 20 mins. and now its doing the same thing. No changes. Some ones sugested Fule Pressure. Dose anyone have any suggestions? Im tight on cash so i really need to do this shade tree if you know what I mean.

Thanks Jayzen

Old 04-20-2009, 04:11 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would suggest checking the MAP sensor.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:27 PM
ModT
Professional

Hey,
The same thing was happening to me, I had no idea what it would be but my first guess what the TPS, I went down to PartSource and picked up a new TPS for $40.00 put it in and the truck is much better now, but i guess thats not what it is for you if you already got that done. But it might be the fuel pressure pump that was what my second guess to my problem was. Hopefully you can figure out what the problem is.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:53 PM
95_318SLT
Champion

I'm not convinced that it is the fuel system. Typically fuel pressure problems cause the engine to bog down under hard acceleration, not while its trying to idle.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:24 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you say that it dies at stops, do you mean that it dies while stopping? if so, does it only happen when you are braking hard or soft?

Old 04-20-2009, 10:36 PM
95_318SLT
Champion

Originally Posted by 3.9l93dakota
when you say that it dies at stops, do you mean that it dies while stopping? if so, does it only happen when you are braking hard or soft?
That's a good question... If it dies while you are in the act of stopping, there is a chance that the torque converter lockup soleniod is not releasing the lockup clutch.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:56 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
That's a good question... If it dies while you are in the act of stopping, there is a chance that the torque converter lockup soleniod is not releasing the lockup clutch.
and i know i keep throwing this one out there, but it could also be as easy as the vehicle speed sensor, you said its a '95 so that means you have to do the ignition style check for codes. in such a case, cycle your ignition "on", "off", "on", "off", "on" and leave it "on" (this does not involve starting the truck, it just means turning the ignition on to where the radio turns on) and count the flashes, eg. "flash" means 1, "flash" "flash" means 2, "flash" "flash" "flash" means 3 and so on and so forth. there will be a long pause in between each code, for example, "flash" pause "flash" "flash" means code 12. check out this thread here >> https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ml#post1472415 for mor information. post the codes and their meanings on here and we might be able to tell you what you need to do to fix your problem

Old 04-21-2009, 12:01 AM
Jayzen

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
No, It dies when i come to a complete stop. once stopped the Idle drops and it dies unless i keep my foot on the Gas.

Thanks for the help.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:42 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

Originally Posted by Jayzen
No, It dies when i come to a complete stop. once stopped the Idle drops and it dies unless i keep my foot on the Gas.

Thanks for the help.
do the code test on your truck and let us know what you get, we will tell you where to go from there

Old 04-21-2009, 02:20 AM
ModT
Professional

When it happened to me, the i would come to a complete stop and it would start idling high. Then everything would just stall, the radio was still working and the lights but the motor and everything would just stop. So I put the truck in park, turned off the truck, and started back up no problem. It happened a few times. But now that I changed the TPS no problems have occured and I change it Saturday and have been driving alot the last 2 days.

Quick Reply: Dies at stops