1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

New radiator / cooling system flush

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 02:42 PM
DukeSupes
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New radiator / cooling system flush

So the upper radiator neck is leaking, I tried to seal it with some solder but that didnt work, its leaking on either side of the tank, and when I look inside of the radiator I found a 1'' by 1'' piece of metal just drifting around. I bought a new radiator, but wanted to know what kind of radiator flush you guys use if any.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:57 PM
Kurtv

AS far as products, I would use plain water with a Prestone flush kit.

If you were to use a strong detergent it might actually loosen sludge and plug something up like the heater core.

SO, I usually just use a garden hose and a flush kit

Last edited by Kurtv; 05-20-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:33 PM
DukeSupes
Captain

Well I bought the Valvoline version of the "super flush". It says to drive your vehicle 3 - 6 hours and then to flush with regular water. I replace the radiator tonight then just fill it up with this super flush and water and run it for a while then flush that out and refill with clean fresh antifreeze.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:46 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

IF you use tap water with the Superflush, make sure to drain ALL that out, and add distilled water with coolant to the proper mixture.
I stress getting as much tap water out as possible, because it contains minerals and stuff that leads to problems in the cooling system.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:53 AM
kahanabob
Captain

Will take many (5) times of filling, running, then drain before you get all of it out of the block. The thermostat hinders flushing the block. When i drain mine I always just pull off the botton hose at the radiator. Also while doing the above run the heater.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:51 AM
Bump
Veteran

ahh hell... I just waited till summer and dropped all the coolant and re filled it with hose water. Drove it around for a bit with the heat on, windows down and the radio up, all while wearing a dirty white tee shirt with a pack a bros rolled up in the sleeve and an old mil on the dash. Drained it, re filled, drove, drained, re filled, drove...etc.

had to drain and fill with water like 6 times before I got clean water to come out.

I then used pure coolant to re fill (as there was still alot of pur water in the block) and drove for a week before I tested the coolant and added accordingly for a proper mixture.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:02 AM
DukeSupes
Captain

I bought 8 gallons of disstilled water yesterday. Filling it up with that and the flush. I will drive it around for a few days as I only live 4 miles from where I work. Then drain it all and refill with more disstilled and coolant.

I am trying to decide what the best method is to get all of hte gunk out if there is still more in there but dont have enough disstilled water.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Bump
Veteran

pop out all the freeze plugs and get and angled head pressure washer.

Quick Reply: New radiator / cooling system flush