1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Truck quits running on its own

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 08:00 PM
grtrat1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck quits running on its own

New member here.. Looking for some help with this problem.. No one seems to know on the Dakota boards..

1994 Dakota 2wd ext cab 3.9 auto... I had a annoying exhaust leak and finally found out it was coming from that pipe that goes from the pass exhaust manifold to the back of the intake. It was split right by the tranny tube.. So I wiggles the pipe and it broke off the piece that bolts to the exhaust manifold. I took a short bolt and welded it to the opening of the piece that bolts to the exhaust manifold (left the pipe end alone).. Since then my truck has just quit running after about 10-15 of run time..I put it in park and it will crank right up..
Is this just a coincidence and maybe something else is wrong or do I need to replace that pipe?

Old 05-22-2009, 09:43 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That pipe is part of the EGR system. Exhaust Gas Recirculation system. I bet the valve on top is to blame. Or something in that system. Are you getting a check engine light?

Old 05-22-2009, 09:46 PM
grtrat1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no light... It just stops..As soon as I stop put it in park... It starts right back up..

Quick Reply: Truck quits running on its own