1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1993 Dodge Dakota Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Senate427
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Dodge Dakota Transmission?

I own a 1993 Dodge Dakota 4x4 automatic with 165,000 miles. About a year ago I noticed my transmission was acting funny like at high speeds it wasn't shifting into the right gear or sound like it was in neutral because the RPMs went up. Anyway, I noticed when it was winter season that my transmission ran worse because it was very cold. Now that it is almost summer and it is hot outside my transmission is shifting 80% better. So now here is the odd part, the other day the temperature drop into the 30s and when I took my truck for a drive my transmission was acting up. When it is hot outside my transmission runs better and when it is cold my transmission shifts wrong.

.........>>> Also I hear a thunder rumble type sound coming from the front of the transmission whenever I let off the gas. Sometimes it feels like my gas pedal is soft at times then hard like when I push down on it.

So my question is how would the outside temperature affect my transmissions shifting?

.........>>> Also I hear a thunder rumble type sound coming from the front of the transmission

Torque Converter or fluid problem?

Thanks

Old 05-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes most likely fluid problems. Check the oil level first when its warmed up. Then check the color and smell. You may need to do an oil flush and change the filter. The oil is thicker when it is cold and thinner when it is warmer. You can find an transmission diagnostic chart located in the FAQ in this section.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Senate427
Veteran

Everyone keeps saying get a fluid change which I got a fluid change back in October. But the transmission guy was a real jerk and broke my cruise control when he did work on my transmission harness and blew half of my fuses. Also I don't really know if he did a transmission fluid change even though it said it on the bill.

I might do the fluid change myself since I have a good truck manual.

But do you think my torque converter could be bad and also making a thunder noise that I hear?

Old 05-28-2009, 12:49 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have heard horror stories about improper fluids being replaced into transmissions. This is why I do everything I can myself.

I would eliminate one possibility first and change the fluid out, then see where you are.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:01 PM
Senate427
Veteran

Oh and I forgot to mention whenever I coast down big hills my truck will downshift causing my engine to slow down the vehicle, but then it will upshift again.

But the transmission doesn't always do that only on cold days.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:39 PM
skyshark186
Captain

Like others stated I would try changing fluid first. If you still have the problems then youve at least narrowed down your possible issues.

Are you saying that your truck will downshift to slow you, then upshift partway through that process? In or out of cruise? Is it a jerky transfer between slowing and speeding or does it slow you to a certain point then upshift again normally?

Old 05-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Senate427
Veteran

It's like it switches from 3rd gear to 2nd gear then back to 3rd gear within 10-15 seconds. So really it's like my transmission doesn't know what gear it should be in or like it's out of tune.

I will take everyone's advice and do a transmission fluid and filter change.

Thanks and I will let everyone know if it improves my transmission shifting.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:21 AM
ModT
Professional

The exact same thing happens to my truck, I have no idea why it does that, but minegoes from 3rd to 2nd to 3rd with 10-15 seconds. And I have to push the petal really hard in order to go fast but it totally beats up the transmission. If you figure out what it is...let me know!!! thanks

Old 05-29-2009, 02:31 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

For the shifting issue it may be the TV cable. It is a cable that goes from the Transmission to the Throttle Body. There is an adjuster on the cable on the TB side. Check the FAQ for service manuals if you need more help.

Quick Reply: 1993 Dodge Dakota Transmission?