1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

New here, Need some help too

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 02:57 AM
'95Dakota
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here, Need some help too

Hey guys. My name is Kaleb and i just got a '95 Dodge Dakota and i love it. Never buy a different brand of vehicle. I am 15 but ive spent the last 12, almost 13 years wrenchin on everything from oilfeild moving equipment to moms car to our Volks. Bug so i'll probly know more then you guys expect.

I also have a 2007 Yamaha YFZ450 with some goodies on 'er. Any other riders here? haha awesome smily guy

Also, could i get some pics of black and polished rims? I want to buy some rims here shortly and i think i know what kind i want but im not totally sure. I'm thinkin of goin with Ultra Wheel's Rogue, but i havent decided the polished or black. Open to all suggestions that are 4x4 related lol. I live in Canada so i dont want a street truck.

Thanks and keep it easy on me for a while lol

Kaleb

Old 07-02-2009, 03:11 AM
'95Dakota
Professional

also, what kind of lifts can i get for it? I found a 4" Trailmaster but thats too big, especialy with the planned 2" body lift coming soon. Is there a 2-3" suspension lift? I also dont want to go too big cuz i want to keep 31's on it. I need decent gas milage so i need smaller/lighter tires.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:15 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to DF '95! I am going to move this over to the 1st Gen Dakota Section! There are a ton of nice guys there that should be able to help ya with any questions! Enjoy!

Old 07-02-2009, 12:03 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to the forum!

you say you wanna lift the truck? you didnt say if its 4x4 or 2WD, but regardless of knowing that, just look in the FAQs sections of the forum. in FAQ2, there is a whole list of mods and where to find them. if you want to fit 31's, you would need a 2 in lift (being that its a 4x4), so if i were you, i would just lift it 4 inches via the suspension instead of the suspension and body. no point combining the 2 when you only need 1.

however if its only a 2WD, you will need a 2 in suspension lift and a 2 inch body lift to be able to fit 31's. i think.... if not then you only need the 2 inches... cant remember.

and whats wrong with a street truck in canada? im in winnipeg, and im building a street/show/dd truck outta my 'kota. IMO, there are almost too many possible things you can do to these trucks, but also limited in a huge way cuz they are older and the aftermarket didnt pick up our trucks like they did some of the others..

whatever you build out of it tho will be sweet cuz IMO, any dakota on the road, is a sweet dakota (unless it looks like sh*t..) and i mainly say that cuz there arent too many 1st gen daks round here...

Old 07-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ya check out the FAQ2 in this section for lift Idea. Tons of them.

I got a 1977 Yamaha XS650. Love it!

Old 07-02-2009, 01:23 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

To fit 31s, crank the torsion bars (assuming its a 4x4) to level the front with the back and put on the 2 inch body lift. Theres no point paying almost $2000 for the trailmaster suspension lift just to fit 31s when you can do it for less than $100. Unless you just have a ton of cash burning a hole in your pocket, which in that case, share the wealth! JK dude :P

As for the wheels, we need to see your truck before we can say whether or not black or polished would look better! Remeber this... we like pictures!!!

Old 07-02-2009, 03:40 PM
'95Dakota
Professional

hey, yea sorry about not specifying. Its a 4x4 with a 3.9L V6 Magnum 5speed.

Name:  myquad.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  137.1 KB
hope that works, but thats 'er. I can get some more if you guys want.

Name:  myquad003.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  253.5 KB

just showin off my other money pit lol

Old 07-02-2009, 03:51 PM
'95Dakota
Professional

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
Welcome to the forum!

To fit 31s, crank the torsion bars (assuming its a 4x4) to level the front with the back and put on the 2 inch body lift. Theres no point paying almost $2000 for the trailmaster suspension lift just to fit 31s when you can do it for less than $100. Unless you just have a ton of cash burning a hole in your pocket, which in that case, share the wealth! JK dude :P

As for the wheels, we need to see your truck before we can say whether or not black or polished would look better! Remeber this... we like pictures!!!
I was going to crank the torsion bars but i dont want it to ride like a lumber wagon. Thats a sweeet ride you got there, how does it ride?

I checked the clearence with the 31's and i think i should be good stock, i might have to crank the torsion keys just a bit though. They are BF Mud Terrains in case anyone is wondering.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:28 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For what its worth, my vote is for black wheels! Without the stainless bumpers or chrome plated mirrors, polished wheels would stand out too much without accenting anything. Thats my $0.02, take it or leave it :P

Lol, to be honest, my truck rides like a brick, but I don't mind it one bit. I would like to make custom lower control arm mounts similar to the trailmaster suspension kit, but I don't have the time or money cause of all the other projects going on right now. But the trailmaster kit would definatly give you the lift without the harsh ride, but cost you an arm and a leg (or maybe both arms and both legs!).

Right now, all the lift I have is torsion bars cranked in the front, and in the back.... its a combination of a larger axle (chrysler 9.25" has larger diameter axle tubes), custom leaf spring perches that are just a bit taller than stock (but not blocks, I hate blocks), and towing coil over shocks. The back of the truck does sit higher than the front with the bars cranked so high they are starting to bow. I also have a 2 inch body lift. Anyway, I have 31.5x10.5 inch tires on it and the only place it rubs is the front crossmember.

Here are some pictures of how my truck sits with what I mentioned just to give you a reference to see if thats about where you want yours to sit... (I'll get a better one when my camera battery finishes charging)

DSCN0259.jpg?t=1246566382

Or here is a picture of a truck (not mine) with the trailmaster suspension lift but no body lift, and I think if I remember right it has 35s on it...

lside.jpg?t=1246566496

Old 07-02-2009, 04:36 PM
'95Dakota
Professional

i wouldnt crank my bars as much as you though, You have alot of room in your wells it looks like. You could almost get 33's! lol

But that brown truck looks like it has a body lift in it by how much the frame rails are stickin out the bottom. Just the way it looks though, i dont know for sure.

How d you crank the torsion bars? I would like to do it soon so i can get those 31's mounted. Is it easy?