1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

weird problem and upper rad hose.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 11:38 PM
DukeSupes
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird problem and upper rad hose.

Hey guys. Weird problem. Every once and a while after driving for at least 10 minutes either in town or on the highway I will come to a stop light or sign. When I take off again the truck sounds like its under a heavy load. Sounds a lot like its at high rpms in low gear. It doesnt seem to be hurt it to continue driving it and it eventually does come out of it. Anybody know what this is?

second question:

About once a week I will check under the hood and the upper radiator hose is completely shiveled up. I take off the rad cap and it pops back into shape. The coolant over flow resevoir is almost topped off with coolant so I am assuming that the truck is trying to suck some of that spillover collant back up but for whatever reason its unable to. Anybody have a solution? Are these things related?

Thanks!

Old 07-05-2009, 11:56 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

First problem sounds like it is the engine fan, when the cluch engages it.

As for the second problem you are right it is trying to pull it back in. Most likely it is your cap on the radiator.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:50 AM
DukeSupes
Captain

Well I replaced the cap yesterday thinking thats probably what was wrong so we will see in the next couple days whether that worked or not. I suppose the only way to fix the other problem is to replace the fan clutch?

Old 07-06-2009, 10:50 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DukeSupes
Well I replaced the cap yesterday thinking thats probably what was wrong so we will see in the next couple days whether that worked or not. I suppose the only way to fix the other problem is to replace the fan clutch?
i wouldnt be too sure that the first problem is actually a problem. how hot was it? cuz that will affect when the fan clutch kicks in. short of that, you could always do away with the mehanical fan and install an electric fan. summit has a whole bunch of options for electrical fans.

as for the rad problem, check to see if the overflow resevoir tube is clogged. it might be. also, since no one else stated the obvious, i will, make sure the rad is full too, cuz these arent like those fancy new cars where you only have to fill the resevoir. you have to fill both the rad and resevoir..

Old 07-06-2009, 12:37 PM
DukeSupes
Captain

The truck Never runs hot. It usually settles just above the C mark.

Yeha I usually wind up removing the resevoir and refilling the rad about once a week. Thats how I know its been happening.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:50 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with the the something being clogged statement. If the radiator hose shrivels up, it sounds to me like its under a vacuum from flow being resticted somewhere, since the antifreeze is sucked out of the engine into the upper radiator hose by the pump. I would suggest taking off the radiator cap and gettin the truck up to running temperature and watch to see how freely the antifreeze flows.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:07 PM
DukeSupes
Captain

Pretty well. Its a brand new radiator. I just installed it about 2 months ago. Before I installed it, I ran some prestone coolant system flush and then flushed the whole system with a garden hose for about an hour (Until the water came out clear and clean with no foam).

Old 07-06-2009, 06:08 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For collapsed hose, the service manual gives the 4 following solutions:
(1) Radiator cap relief valve stuck.
(2) Hose between coolant reserve tank and radiator is kinked.
(3) Vent at coolant reserve is clogged.
(4) Reserve tank is internally blocked or plugged.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:17 AM
DukeSupes
Captain

I believe the new rad cap fixed the problem. I left the resevoir nearly overflowing, and the coolant in the rad. down and installed the new cap. I checked last night and the coolant is now sitting just about an inch below the full mark .

So apparently the cap was allowing the coolant to flow to the resevoir but not back in..

Last edited by DukeSupes; 07-07-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:23 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear that fixed the problem.

Quick Reply: weird problem and upper rad hose.