1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Won't start unless Check engine light is on.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 10:09 PM
ztekdesign
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start unless Check engine light is on.

I have a 1995 Dodge Dakota sport 4x4 with a 5.2L. It sometimes will start and run just fine. Then you can shut it off and try to restart and it will crank over but not start. If I unhook the battery and reset the computer it will then start and run fine. I have noticed that the check engine light doesn't come on when I turn the key to the on position when it's not starting. If the engine light comes on when I turn the key on it start right up. What should I check first?

Old 07-28-2009, 11:17 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like the computer is not getting power. Check the power splice. It is located under the power distribution center under the hood. Check the FAQ for a good description of the problem.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:56 AM
ztekdesign

I found the ground splice under the relay panel and it looks fine. The wierd part about this problem is that all I have to do is reset the computer by disconnecting the battery and it starts right up. Once it's running it runs fine and doesn't shut off. I tried wiggling wires while it's running and when it won't start instead of resetting the computer and still nothing. Any other common places to check for power or ground issues.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:21 AM
ztekdesign

I was told by a friend that sometimes the Crankshaft position sensor will short out or fail and cause the computer to shutdown. He said disconnecting the battery will reset the sensor until is shorts or fails again. Does this sound right? Anybody have any experiences like this?

Old 07-30-2009, 10:03 AM
ztekdesign

Did a bunch of testing last night. Unplugged every sensor that I could find. including the Crank and cam sensors. Turned the key off for 20 seconds. Turned it back on and nothing changes. Still no Check engine light and computer won't activate the ASD or Fuel relay. Also checked the 5 volt and 8 volt sensor supply and it was at 5.03 vdc and 9 vdc. The sensor ground also checked out. Checked for power and ground at the PCM and they were all good. If I disconnect the battery supply to the PCM for 10 seconds it will reset the computer and the truck will start right up. It seems like once it starts it runs great and doesn't stall. It's only when you shut it off for a minute after running it for a while it won't restart. I guess I am assuming it's a bad PCM. Anyone know of a good place to get one?

Old 07-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

The slice I was referring to was not a ground splice. It is a positive supply for the ASD and the Fuel pump. The computer can be bad but expensive. But try most auto parts stores or your local dealership.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:19 AM
94tbkota
Rookie

I had the same problem on my 94 3.9 i got a new ecu from advance for like 165(only our trucks the fuel pump cost more then the computer) i put the ecu havent had the problem since

Old 08-08-2009, 02:16 PM
94 mark3
Professional

definitely sounds like a ECU problem

time for an upgrade!

Old 08-16-2009, 05:20 PM
ztekdesign

Installed used ECU and it runs fine. Now I have to figure out the high idle problem.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:40 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

The high Idle may be the IAC Idle Air Control valve, clean it up or replace it.

Quick Reply: Won't start unless Check engine light is on.