1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1st truck...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 01:51 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AK87
just noticed yesterday that the front has no springs, does the "sway bar" act as the spring on these? i need to get a detailed shop manual for this thing, i love the 1 i have for my Honda its sweeeet!!!
Ya 4x4 use a torsion bar set up. It is a bar that twists. Check the FAQ for service manuals and part manuals as well as tons of more info.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:41 PM
AK87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kk, right after i posted the torsion question i was poking around and ran across something that answered the question still learning the differences of this thing )) today i'm workin on the vw, putting a new parking brake cable in finally, i actually miss it, a lot, cant run the engine and tinker wiht it when its in gear, but have to chok the wheels to park it out of gear lol. bought a parts car for $100 another vw. i can (but probably wont yet) have a passenger front seat, and a whole bunch of other interrior goodies that i have been without for a while. and yet another set of rims, pipeing up a 2nd radiator, and i think i am going to some how make a custom lil belt compressor, i have 2 1/2 horsepower electric motors, and i will have a 2nd compressor, i might throw the compressor on the truck and start its air system.
also i wired up 4 lights for my friend in under 30 mins, truck was in the shop getting the rear axle remounted, they said it woudl take an hour to install em. naner naner lol.

those are my thoughts for today.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:33 AM
AK87

im kind of thinking about selling the chevy parts, and what ever parts i can from the 87 1 ton and try to get a 12v 5.9L cummins.

1 ton 4x4 axles/drivetrain, big diesel, ooooo i would have fun, i have always wanted to have a diesel to play with,
i get to work on plenty of diff gas engines espically since EVERYONE up here has friggin 1/2 ton trucks bleh lol. (i daily drive cars)

has any1 done a 5.9 diesel in a kota yet? could i be the 1st at something?

im still stoked for my bumper (only thing i can do Now since im on a budget(grrrr budget sucks) ) but may have to wait till i figure out what front end i will have, knowing me i will end up going extreme and making a tank bumper (cool but HEAVY) and tie in a skid plate (pieces will bolt together so i dont need a crane to get it off)
once i strip my parts fox, i may have to do some crash tests, 1000lb bumper vs 2200lb car(b4 stripped) should be fun, if it handles that then maybe find somethign else (alaska+truck+ freetime+me+ indestructable bumper= entertainment)

Old 08-19-2009, 12:43 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If I remember correctly a few 2nd gen Dakotas have put in. Do a search in the 2nd gen section.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:07 AM
AK87

the lazy part of me wants to do the 4bt since it would fit easily and could prolly bolt it up to my stock drive train,(run 2k rpms slower but truck would move 4 now) but the rest of me wants to hold out till i come across a 5.9L (hopefully a whole/ fairly whole truck) and throw on the whole drive train from it, (unless its in decent condition, then plans might change). ah, the rumble of the inline 6, sound of the turbo, and power, (drool,) i LOVE the big semi engines, loved listening to the truck i had in class, sounded like a jet turbine going from med. speed up to full, and the big pete's the Deep deep pits of helll sounding power, i cant wait to have 1 of those for a project, some day some day.

Last edited by AK87; 08-20-2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:17 PM
AK87

o ya a few weeks ago i was checking out that air pump, all it does is pull air from the cat and push it in to the header on passenger side.
pulled the a/c pump off the 87 1 ton, eventually i'll put it on my truck and start my air system

Old 08-25-2009, 09:36 PM
AK87

well, the truck managed to tow my 2nd vw fox on one of our work trailers and a heating stove for mom's place(in bed), the trailer was too short to get the weight where it should be (found out the hard way) was an Intense day but i made it to the destination. used 4 low to climb up the mountain to our property (2 miles) the ratio made it feel like nothing, but i'm not going to put the poor truck through that again.

oooo and i drove my honda the day after that, i keep forgetting how much i love that thing, it rocketed up the hills at 60mph in 4th gear well below the power rpm's.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:25 PM
AK87
Default 4bt in a vw?

well i have been trying to think of what the final drive train in my fox should be, i was lookign at a racing subaru setup for a while but today i pulled out the measuring tape too see if i can fit a 4bt in the car. if i did a rear engine setup i could pull it off. but i think everything (engine tranny ect) woudl be too long to work into a AWD setup (unless i extended the rear out, but then i think permanent wheelie would be the issue) i could run a fwd deal tho if i got every thing spinning the right way.

just kickin ideas around, what i really want is a small turbine, but still figureing out a variable tranny design. for larger trucks i already have a decent drivetrain setup /retro fit. but not sure if it would scale downenough for smaller vehicles, so im trying to get a mechanical design as well

Old 09-20-2010, 12:46 AM
AK87
Default making progress w the design

ok, i think the plan is to make a strong but small box (solid steel if needed) frame for the rear of the car and bolt the body to it. mount the engine/tranny, rear suspension, hitch and small tag axle to it, with that much weight behind the rear axle in a car that size could pose a problem on an above average launch or if i hook a trailer up. was going to put on a small axle from a trailer just to help hold a few hundred pounds, and still fit under the car's body,(able to lift/drop it from in the cab, and easily pull off the car for whatever reason).

still looking for the right tranny, trying to get AWD but im sure i will need to get a little creative with the rear to make it work.

also have to figure out how to make it go forward in the forward gears, unless i can find a tranny made for a counter clockwise engine, (since i am basically building a backwords drivetrain, then needing it to still move forward)

day 1,

Quick Reply: 1st truck...