1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Rear Differential Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 09:35 AM
kozmothewonderdog
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

94 RWD V6 5-speed Dakota with 8.25 rearend...

I know this is a REEEEEEALLY old thread, but was wondering if anybody had any strong opinions on the two different cover plate drain plugs available from Rock Auto (https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ver+plug,14368).
Exhibit A: DORMAN 090062 ($1.87)
Exhibit B: USA STANDARD GEAR USA33463 ($14.90)

From the pictures, they both look to be the same type of simple black rubber plug. I want whatever I buy to last, but any reason I should pay for the pricey one in this case?

Old 03-05-2021, 02:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,189 Likes on 2,942 Posts

Think I would just buy a couple of the cheap fellers, and keep the spares in the glove box.

Old 04-12-2021, 02:48 PM
kozmothewonderdog

Changed the gear oil in my 94 3.9L 5-speed RWD this weekend. Unfortunately, the top bolt was frozen in place, so I was initially only able to remove 9 of the 10 bolts (8.25 rear end). I put some blue RTV along the bottom, but unfortunately after tightening all the bolts back up, the cover was still leaking (it leaked before, but even worse now...).

Sunday morning I bought an Irwin extractor socket set, and was able to get the stubborn top bolt out, but of course it was ruined in the process. On the bright side, this gave me a good excuse to go to the auto wreckers in search of a replacement bolt (and a less-rusty differential cover, if I could find one). I lucked out and found one in really good shape on a 2003 or 2004 Jeep Liberty. Of course all the bolts came out easily, but the cover was stuck on there pretty good. I tapped a screwdriver in between the cover & the housing, and unfortunately having already taken all the bolts out (duh!), it didn't just come loose in one spot, but all the way around, all at once.

So I got the cover off, and a little bath from the gear oil. Had coveralls on, but it soaked through to my old t-shirt and all over my hat. I had to stop at a flea market about a mile down the road from the wreckers to get $3 t-shirt to wear home to avoid ruining my car seats.

Any strong feelings/recommendations on using only RTV vs. RTV *and* the gaskets I can get from Rock Auto? (https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...l+gasket,13411)

Old 04-12-2021, 03:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I generally just use RTV.... though everyone has their own preference.

Biggest think with RTV is, lay a decent bead down, then let it dry for 10 minutes or so, so it 'skins over' nice. Then, when you compress it, it seals MUCH better.

Old 04-12-2021, 03:19 PM
kozmothewonderdog

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Biggest think with RTV is, lay a decent bead down, then let it dry for 10 minutes or so, so it 'skins over' nice. Then, when you compress it, it seals MUCH better.
Thanks... how thick/wide of a bead should I use, and do I just go around the inside edge of the bolt holes, or all the way around? It seemed like the bolts I took out even had RTV on the threads, although maybe they just picked that up on the way in/out.

Also, I note the trans and rear-end seem to have the orange stuff, but I've also seen (I think earlier in this thread) that the blue should work okay? I have the blue permatex at home, but am more than happy to buy something else if necessary.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I usually do about a 1/4 inch bead. Never had any leaks. You can go inside the bolt holes, or completely around them, up to you.

Quick Reply: Rear Differential Oil Change